I just finished The All-New Mallory Pike . This book is a favorite of mine, probably because I myself am a Boarding School Survivor. I love reading about her boarding school adventures as they remind me of my own, although her school sounds much more luxurious than mine. Everyone knows that in the joy of the boarding school experience, suffering is inherent. Anyway, I also like reading about Mallory about Riverbend because I like Riverbend Mallory Pike. She is more confident, and no longer playing the “Junior Member” role. I like Mallory being recognized for her kindness, for her brains, not just being the big sister or one of the two who can’t sit at night. I would have loved to see a California Diaries-style series about Mal and her friends at Riverbend. Why has no one written fanfiction about her boarding school life? When asked about what they think happens to the BSC post-graduation from eighth grade, and in many RPGs, Mallory ends up coming back to Stoneybrook for high school. Personally, I see Mal staying at Riverbend till college. What do you all think on this issue?

Also, over at The Miss BSC Pageant, Mary Anne Saves the Day has emerged victorious in the poll for most popular BSC book. All I have to say is: EW. This is one of my least favorite BSC books. I don’t like the fight. I actually don’t really like fights in BSC books in general. They make me feel really uncomfortable, like when you’re hanging out with a couple and they begin airing their dirty laundry in front of you. Awkward. The only one I like is Stacey vs the BSC, because instead of feeling uncomfortable I just bask in the glow of Bitch!Stacey. I also like the book Mary Anne’s Makeover despite the fights, cause there’s so much fashion and gossip. But Saves the Day has neither fashion nor interesting gossip, and Stacey is just kind of pathetic in it. I also don’t like it when Dawn gets so mad at Mary Anne at this one, although I do feel like it’s indicative of their future relationship, which will include lots of petty bitch fights. But yeah. I was disappointed by the results. What do you think about the results?

bbb said, October 23rd, 2007 at 12:09 am

I would have loved to have seen more than one Mal-at-Riverbend book for the reasons you mention. And her friends sounded interesting. As for Mary Anne Saves the Day, I love that book! Their fight is stupid but I love that it inspires that note MA wants to send to Kristy (“I’m sorry your the biggest bossiest know-it-all in the world but what do you want me to do about it? Have you considered seeking professional help?”) And there’s just a lot of noteworthy stuff going on in this one. I absolutely don’t like the new cover art though.

cpennylane said, October 23rd, 2007 at 5:15 pm

ITA about the coverart. It does not have the BSC feel to me.

Mary Anne Saves the Day and The Truth about Stacey are my favorite BSC books, I think. When I was younger, they weren’t. But now, if I had to pick just one, it would be one of those two, or SS#2. I’m not entirely sure why.

Lou said, October 23rd, 2007 at 11:15 pm

I loved Mallory’s boarding school stories. I wish they’d made it a series too. Some intense stuff gown down in boarding school! You can’t really escape anyone!

myu said, October 24th, 2007 at 11:10 am

“Mary Anne Saves the Day” is actually one of my favourite books. I really liked the way Mary Anne’s shyness was written and she came across as being very nice.

Rebecca said, October 24th, 2007 at 7:16 pm

I also didn’t like the choice of Mary Anne Saves the Day. I think I voted for Stacey vs the BSC.

wanderingfrog said, October 25th, 2007 at 7:57 pm

I think one reason people have Mallory come back to Stoneybrook for high school is less that they don’t think she’d be happy at Riverbend, or “good enough” for it, and more that they don’t like to picture Stoneybrook without her. This is especially true for RPGs, because there’s much less chance for her to interact with other characters if she’s actually in Stoneybrook. Pike kids come eight to a set, like dishes or something, and it feels wrong to have seven of them.

Coco said, October 26th, 2007 at 2:13 pm

I think Mary Anne Saves the Day is a worthy choice. It is after all where Mary Anne gets the cojonos to stand up to her dad, and I feel she really starts to come into her own. The fight was so ridic, but good drama nonetheless.

elphitha said, October 31st, 2007 at 4:38 pm

MA Saves The Day was a favourite of mine at one point, because I always liked Mary Anne for reasons unknown and the fact that she got the spotlight, grew balls AND was a bitch to Kristy kind of made me love it. I still do, but I’m not so sur it’s my favourite anymore. The books where they fight always make me feel uncomfortable because it’s like there’s an unspoken law that the girls in the club are inseparable; they have no lives outside of the club and aren’t allowed friends outside of the club but *that’s okay*, because it’s them and it’s the BSC girls and that’s how it is. It just *is*. So fights were always uncomfortable.

Then I read Stacey vs BSC at the age of… fourteen, I think, when I finally read that one, and I wanted to strangle them ALL because it was so ridiculous. My feelings for each of the girls and the club as a whole fluctuate something crazy.

charmecia said, February 26th, 2010 at 8:03 pm

same here elphitha
and mary anne saves the day is one of my favorites
cause mary anne finally comes around
gives kristy a taste of her own medicine
and stands up to her overbearing
and overprotective father in a way
(and i also like how dawn makes her appearance
causei love dawn

charmecia said, February 26th, 2010 at 8:07 pm

but i would love to see mallory having her own series
because i like the new mallory way better than the old one
plus i would love to hear more about the alexis problem
and also get to know smita
and sarah
as well as jen a lot more
so yeah
they should have a series based on mal’s adventures at riverbend