There is something incredibly satisfying about having every BSC book, their pastel, basically uniformly-thick spines all lined up on a bookshelf. Followed, of course, by the normally white, thicker spines of the Super Specials, the dark-hued spines of the Mystery Series, the Super Mysteries, the Portrait Collection… you get the picture. I have seen many pictures of the collections of my friends within the fandom, all of whom took pictures of their perfectly organized collection, which may also include dolls in original boxes, board games, and other peripheral BSC memorabilia. While I think it would be lovely to have every BSC book at my fingertips, somehow it has never worked like that for me.

I’m a more… organic collector. All right, I’m just plain disorganized. I also haven’t had my collection at the place where I actually live for about six years now. I suppose that’s a bit strange, since I write a blog focused on the Baby-sitters Club. You’d think that I sat around all day, gazing at my collection and rereading. While I do reread when I get a chance, my collection, in its super-secret location, isn’t even all together. When I was younger, the way I kept my books “lasting” longer was that after I finished reading a BSC book, I would hide it somewhere in my house and forget about it, so I could rediscover later and it would feel like almost an all-new book, as I hadn’t read it in a few years.

I am curious about how you guys keep your collection. Is it perfectly organized and complete? Is it strewn around your house? Do you have digitsl versions of a lot of the books and then your actual collection at your parents’ house/storage facility? Are you still working hard on rebuilding/completing your collection and every book you have feels like a huge accomplishment?

chicken_queen said, October 28th, 2007 at 1:06 am

I’m sure you’ve seen my pictures. My books are all proudly on display on my huge bookshelf, which is practically the first thing you see when you come into my apartment. Unfortunately, as big as this bookshelf is, it’s also full, and my foreign BSC books are just kind of piled on the shelves. I also have shelves over mine and the bf’s computers where my Authors Collection dolls (still in boxes, natch) are pretty much the second thing seen upon entering the apartment.

Though this doesn’t mean my collection is neat. There are always books piled in various locations (computer desk, coffee table, in the car, a few at work..) and my sleeping bag is tossed in a carner in my room. Plus I have original graphic novel pages and movie lobby cards that need frames, so they’re in envelopes on my bookshelf. I’m pretty disorganised, lol.

But even though I have so much, it does feel like a huge accomplishment. I’m happy to have the collection so prominent in my living room, it reminds me how far it’s come (from the few books I owned being in a cardboard box.) Though it also reminds me how much I still have to go..

cpennylane said, October 28th, 2007 at 1:23 pm

I keep mine at my parents house, in the closet, behind some stuff. Now that I also keep myself in my parents house, they are lined up on a shelf in my closet, behind some clothes and shoes. THey don’t all fit, so the mysteries and the little sisters are stacked around the room in discrete locations. They are in the closet for two reason – 1, so my mom doesnt’ get mad, and 2 – there is literally no space in this room after cramming an apartment full of stuff in one room, + the stuff from my dorm.

cpennylane said, October 28th, 2007 at 1:24 pm

Hey, cool! New icons!

wanderingfrog said, October 28th, 2007 at 3:25 pm

Until about a year ago, I kept all of the BSC books that I had as a kid in a Rubbermaid container in my parents’ basement, and the books that I collected since then were in random places in my apartment. Last fall, I moved to a new city, and my entire BSC book collection is in one place for the first time ever. My board games and puzzles were too big to bring with me at the time and I don’t own any dolls, but I’ve got all my books and some other memorabilia all neatly in one big bookcase.

I like having my entire collection at my fingertips. Unfortunately, soon I might be moving to a different city for at least six months, and I’d be leaving most of my collection here and only visiting it on the weekends. Which sucks, because I’ve been planning to start a full-series read-through *really* soon. Regarding moving, I’m most upset about only seeing my boyfriend on the weekends, and second-most upset about only seeing my BSC books on the weekends. I’m such a dork!

Rebecca said, October 28th, 2007 at 4:39 pm

All my books are in a big stack of about 90 books. It’s difficult to get books from the bottom, but it’s the best way to keep them since I don’t have a bookshelf.

chicken_queen said, October 28th, 2007 at 10:34 pm

Ahhhh, I want puzzles but I never seem to see any on eBay!!

greer said, October 28th, 2007 at 10:52 pm

@chicken_queen: i have a puzzle but the box is smushed so i doubt you’d want it.

myu said, October 29th, 2007 at 11:53 am

My collection is all in boxes under my bed in my mum and dad’s house. I won’t deny that I’d like to have read all of the books, but I’m not actively collecting them. I do like the BSC, but not enough to justify spending a lot of money completing my collection.

matamgirl said, October 29th, 2007 at 7:00 pm

My books are all at my parents’ house in France. They are actually in my brother’s bedroom but he doesn’t come home very often so he hasn’t noticed this yet. He will not be happy when he does. I would like them with me but frankly at what it costs to ship it would be easier to just start a new collection when I’m settled.

elphitha said, October 31st, 2007 at 4:33 pm

My books are stren across three boxes in at least two different rooms in my house, not to mention a few piles of miscellaneous (BSC and non-BSC) books here and there. And some got ruined due to my bratty sister’s messy room meaning they ended up on the floor, trampled.

And I’ll never know the feeling of the uniform pastel spines, because all my books are a mixture of American apple paperbacks and British brick-style books. It makes for a strange sight, looking at them all lined up.