Going back to the fact that it seems that everyone in the Club came from well-off families, I was curious if anyone noticed this reading as a kid. Now, it seems quite obvious to me, but as a child I didn’t notice it at all. I was fooled by the sneaky “pay-for-half” schemes of the parents into ignoring the fact that everyone was a lawyer.

My question: did you notice that the girls were erring on the side of rich, or were you, like me, ignorant to the subtle indicators of richness–i.e., Stacey’s dad taking her to super-expensive restaurants all the time?

chicken_queen said, November 9th, 2007 at 6:34 pm

I also never caught onto the richness of Stoneybrook. I think it was mostly because they made such a big deal about people like Watson’s and the Delaney’s riches, but nobody else’s.

WickedWonder said, November 10th, 2007 at 12:00 am

I guess it wasn’t all that abnormal to me as a kid, just because if they were that rich, why would the kids need to babysit? Because in my head, rich=lazy.

Penny said, November 10th, 2007 at 10:33 am

I never noticed it, but to be fair, I wasn’t exactly slummin’ it at the My Name is Earl Trailer Park. I think it might have been nice for AMM to show some economic diversity in the BSC. Other then Lou, I can’t think of any times the sitters encountered someone who was poor.

Of course, then my few of people from a lower socio economical group would have been as skewed as my few of childhood diabetes.

Penny said, November 10th, 2007 at 10:45 am

^ I meant view, not few. I don’t know how that slipped by me.

myu said, November 10th, 2007 at 11:45 am

I didn’t notice either, except that the thought occurred to me only when I was thinking about the size of the sitters’ houses.

Abby said, November 10th, 2007 at 8:27 pm

It occurred to me that Stacey was pretty well off (and that Laine was loaded– Maybe even Watson level loaded) but no one else.

Like you said, even if the parents were pulling down a pretty good salary, it didn’t really seem to affect any of the sitters, who still babysat about everyday and not only paid for their own clothes and trips, but also paid for their slumber parties and job supplies with their stupid club dues which every single book made a point to mention.

Something I’m curious about though– was there ever any clue about what Dawn’s mom did for a living? I know she had a degree, and a fairly demanding job, but I never got an idea what it was.

DSharpe113 said, November 12th, 2007 at 11:40 am

I definitely didn’t notice it when I was younger. But then again, Stoneybrook is chalk full of lawyers engineers doctors….
We weren’t rich when i was growng up, but I lived in a sizeable 4 bedroom two story (that I was surprised when a girl said my house was huge when I was in sixth grade). My dad was an engineer and my mom did mostly acounting and secretarial work on the side… I didn’t think much of it because we had plenty of money back then…
nowadays however….