graphicnovelpage.jpg

A while back, I wrote about my feelings on BSC collectibles and how I wasn’t so into them. I mentioned, however, that I would really like an original cover painting by Hodges Soileau. You see them occasionally on gallery websites, and they run about 500 USD. This is a pretty big financial commitment, so I went for the next best thing (which definitely does not pale in comparison): an original graphic novel page by Raina Telgemeier.

You can buy one directly from Raina. The info is here. As you can see in the photo above, mine also came with cool extras. The only question is how to display it! I would like it framed, but I am so scared to take it out of its pretty plastic cover!

chicken_queen said, January 15th, 2008 at 6:40 am

I would kill for original BSC cover art. Maybe I should ask for it for my birthday, lol. I have an original page (and Raina’s holding another for me, the page following the one you got, hee. Pizza Toast sisters!) but it’s not framed or anything yet. I’m poor-ish, and I have nowhere to put it. I need a house and not a small apartment, dammit.

greer said, January 15th, 2008 at 12:10 pm

@chicken_queen: yeah, it was larger than I expected. I thought it would be the size of the book page.

What is the other one you have?

chicken_queen said, January 15th, 2008 at 6:55 pm

Page 50 from GN#1. I like pages that have all the girls on it.

What extras did you get with your page?

greer said, January 15th, 2008 at 11:00 pm

@chicken_queen: a smile button, some graphic novel postcards, and other comics-related stuff.

Laura said, January 18th, 2008 at 9:35 pm

I checked out her site, the pictures look really charming. I looked on Hodges Soilileau’s website, it didn’t say anything about his BSC work LOL. Maybe he’s embarrassed too (ie that cover with Kristy looking snooty, with Karen beside her and they’re both wearing their Krusher/Crusher outfits…I forget the title but it doesn’t do Kristy any favours LOL)

Penny said, January 18th, 2008 at 11:35 pm

It actually says “Most of these covers reflect culture from the 1950′s on” Did any one read the book before telling him what to illustrate? Did he read the book? The woman who did the Harry Potter covers read the manuscript and decided what to paint. … It’s not like it would have taken him a month or so to read each book. He wasn’t illustrating War and Peace!

However, I still want one of those covers. I see there is picture from the calender that I always liked. too bad I don’t have an extra 425$

greer said, January 19th, 2008 at 12:55 am

@Penny: wow i totally didn’t notice that 1950s thing before… hahahaha.

Yeah I like that painting from the calendar too. The site says that they have many other paintings from the covers and this is just representative, so maybe they are THE dealer for BSC cover art paintings.

Laura said, January 19th, 2008 at 3:48 pm

Has anyone ever wondered (in a boffinish kind of way) what would have happened if Soilileau and James Mathewuse (SVH cover artist) decided to have a “swap” and paint each other’s books? I imagine that the BSC would become a lot prettier and that Liz and Jess would become a lot…ruddier. And would look different in every picture LOL. But having said that, he was very talented, some of his covers were pretty gorgeous. Now, the interior pictures for Super Specials…don’t get me started!