What is your opinion on snark? This is something which is very popular among BSC fans, especially on the BSC livejournal. There are whole sites based on snark, many of which are linked in my blogroll. I happen to still be on the fence when it comes to BSC snark, however.

I like a good parody once in a while–the series of Karen stories on ff.net are a favorite of mine–but at the same time, sometimes the jokes just devolve into, “Jessi’s black, Claudia’s clothes are ugly, the BSC is soo stupid…” Then why are you reading it? Why are you spending your time writing about the series? Sometimes snark just crosses the line into negativity, and that’s when I lose interest. That’s when it stops being interesting and funny, and stops being an in-joke for fans–something that bonds fans. Then it just seems to be intended to make you feel like a jerk for actually ENJOYING the series.

Sometimes I feel like it’s just “cool” to snark, to be a hater of the series. Whatever, don’t front.

You know you love it.

myu said, January 14th, 2008 at 5:28 pm

I like snark, and I think I probably have a higher tolerance than most for the ‘Jessi is black?’ joke. I’ve read comments about the BSC by people who like the series and those who don’t, but I don’t think I’ve ever felt stupid for liking the BSC. If anything, good snark often makes me like the series more.

bbb said, January 14th, 2008 at 8:30 pm

It hasn’t gotten to a point where I feel like a jerk for reading the books (haha!) but at times the negativity can be draining, if you have a real fondness for the series, which I do. I dunno…I guess I just choose to ignore it if it gets to be too much.

greer said, January 14th, 2008 at 8:45 pm

@myu, @bbb: perhaps i should edit to say that i don’t feel like a jerk exactly, but sometimes things seem to be written as if that is their intention–like how could anyone really honestly like these books in an unironic way?

book covers/illustrations are always excluded from this, however, cause they are terrible.

bbb said, January 14th, 2008 at 9:08 pm

Right, I understand. And sometimes it does seem to come across that way.

The Karen fanfics are genius, I have to add. The author parodies Karen really well, and it’s so much fun to read those.

Colette said, January 15th, 2008 at 4:10 am

I love snark.

I think that it’s cool to snark on the BSC because we’re only doing it because we love it.

It’s like you say things to you siblings to tease them but you would never say it to anyone else because then you would be bullying.

chicken_queen said, January 15th, 2008 at 6:44 am

I try to avoid the snark, because like you said, it crosses the negativity line. I know the BSC isn’t great literature, and sometimes I’m rolling my eyes while reading the books, but I still love them. It’s like if somebody is dissing a loved one, I almost want to jump in and defend the books, lol. So yeah, not the biggest snark fan. (Though I do giggle at comments about the covers. Sorry Hodges, but you kind of suck.)
And don’t get me started on “Jessi’s black!!” At least that seemed to die out.

Laura said, January 15th, 2008 at 3:45 pm

The snark is funny because – I presume I am not alone here – we used to take the BSC books very seriously, and now with a bit of distance…it’s just fun to point out the plot holes/continuity errors/thousanth time doing 8th grade etc. But I like to think that the snark comes from fondness for the books. I still enjoy reading them, even if half the lols are because of the stereotyped characters or preposterous plots. I have to say I re-read The Truth About Stacey, I thought it was really well-written, thoughtful, and funny – she didn’t come across as a bitch like in later books, and the whole diabetes thing was realistic. Sorry this comment has turned into such a novel LOL.

Amy said, January 28th, 2008 at 11:19 am

Yup- I totally agree with Laura. I love snark… even though I still love the BSC. It’s just a good laugh to me.

corduroy said, March 5th, 2008 at 5:55 pm

I still like to read snark because it’s fun to get a new perspective on things, but I’m getting tired of the “BSCult/K.Ron” jokes. things just get beaten to death.

charmecia said, March 19th, 2010 at 2:43 pm

hmmm
i love a good snark
but i ignore the negativity it brings
and i love the bsc books too
i gotta say the earlier ones
like mary anne saves the day
and the truth about stacey
and dawn and the impossible three
are really good ones
and the books later on

Kahran042 said, April 7th, 2012 at 10:24 pm

I’m fine with it, but some of the jokes get really old, especially the Claudia-is-dumb jokes and the jokes about Janine and Charlie being a couple. But I really like it when it points out flaws in the story.

playing_horses said, January 6th, 2014 at 6:09 pm

I like good-nature snark, not full-hate snark. There are tons of blogs and fan-fics that fully hate on the BSC. I don’t like that. However, if it makes “Jessi’s black” and “Claudia-is-so-stupid” jokes, I’m fine with it. Plus, I like it when people snark on the time warp. The fan-fics about Karen are hilarious!

mistrali said, June 3rd, 2014 at 2:58 am

I like the snarking and have only ever seen one or two snarks where it seemed like the person truly hated the books.

Generally I take it for granted that most sneakers are fans and are just having a bit of fun.

» Generational Thoughts Stoneybrookite: the best friends you’ll never have said, August 27th, 2014 at 11:06 am

[...] finding that I’m less inclined to read BSC Snark than I used to be. I’ve never been the biggest fan of snark, and it’s never been the focus of my interest in discussing the BSC. But recently, I’ve [...]