As some of you probably already know, Hodges Soileau worked from models. This may be hard to believe, especially when you’re looking at covers which feature Jessi or small children, but it’s true. This may explain why Dawn never seemed to have long, white-blond hair that hung down all the way to her waist. It also explains other mysteries, like how Claudia’s outfits are never that wild and she only seems to wear a side ponytail. Since Hodges apparently has no imagination, when Mary Anne got her hair cut, the girl who posed for the Mary Anne covers also had to get her hair cut off. So as you can see, modeling for the covers was really intense. You totally had to inhabit the character, or else the covers wouldn’t be believable at all and everyone would think that the thirteen-year-olds really looked like twenty-year-olds and the children resembled adult little people. If you would like to read serious reflections on just how well Hodges depicted the world of Stoneybrook, check out Mackenzie’s tribute to his artistry, BSC Cover to Cover.

Naturally, considering how I would bet that most of us picture someone resembling the portraits on the covers when we think about the BSC members and various other Stoneybrookites who make appearances on the covers, wouldn’t it be nice to track these people down and find recent pictures of them which we could post in a “Where are they now?” article? Sadly, when I googled “baby-sitters club cover model,” there were no relevant results, although I did find a New York Times article about a series called “Ford Supermodels of the World”.

I’m surprised, frankly. You’d think that if you had modeled for the BSC book covers, that shit would totally be on your resume. If I were interviewing you for, say, a theoretical position at the the theoretical advertising firm I worked for, I would totally hire you based on that alone. Even though I’d probably forever be calling you “Kristy” instead of your real name.

But anyway, if you were ever gainfully employed as a BSC cover model and you’re reading this, please email me at greer at stoneybrookite.org. Only you can make my dreams come true.

Laura said, January 27th, 2008 at 12:24 am

I never knew that they were based on models! I don’t see why he couldn’t have just painted Dawn’s hair longer or read the descriptions of what Claudia was wearing. Also the girls could look REALLY different from cover to cover. This is not to say that they aren’t skilled paintings. I kind of liked the very early covers – Logan Likes Mary Anne is a cute one – better than the ugliness that is the cover of Kristy’s Worst Idea. Now, what’s the interior artist’s excuse… :)

greer said, January 27th, 2008 at 12:45 am

@Laura: as the models aged, they got new ones. So that’s why they look different from cover to cover.

Sarah said, January 27th, 2008 at 9:56 am

Seriously, two days ago, I was desperately trying to remember the Ford Supermodels of the World series name. I was only able to get my hands on one back in the day, but it was so bad, it was wonderful. I think the one I read was called Party Girl or something like that, and it had a model with short, Mary-Anne hair on the cover, wearing some kind of Where’s Waldo-looking shirt.

It was delicious.

Penny said, January 27th, 2008 at 10:14 am

Well, that’s depressing. I had no idea they were models — I just though Hodges had a problem with drawing people, and scholastic should have picked someone else. But when I read his website, it all made so much more sense.

Now I want to go and track down these models. I could do it on the guise that I’m doing a “whatever happened to…” story for a newspaper. But I”m not writing for a paper right now, and I don’t see how any paper would print this stuff anyway.

Maybe I’ll make some phone calls tomorrow anyway. For fun or whatever.

greer said, January 27th, 2008 at 7:10 pm

@Sarah: I had never heard of them, but they sound interesting! They have very little internet presence, not even a wikipedia entry.

@Penny: i think a blog is legit enough nowadays for you to use it instead of a paper.

Coco said, January 29th, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I always liked to picture the BSC based on what they looked like on what I deemed was the best cover for them- since they look so different cover to cover. Kristy never looked better then she did on the cover of Kristy’s Big Day. Mary Anne to me looked like she did on the cover Mary Anne’s Bad Luck Mystery or Mary Anne vs. Logan. Dawn had a strong one with Dawn on the Coast. I am not quite sure what I would pick for Stacey or Claud. And Jessi and Mal looked pretty shiteous on every cover.

Laura said, January 29th, 2008 at 11:23 pm

Does anyone else think Stacey looked super…masculine in the picture they chose to have as her “down the right hand side of the book” picture? Never understood why they chose that one…I always thought MA looked pretty in those ones too, Coco! Jessi I was never sure of – in her photo down the right side of the new books she looked almost…white…

Virjo said, March 15th, 2008 at 9:48 am

speaking of covers, i posted some of the spanish ones in the bsc msn group^^
i thought maybe you’d like to see them!

hairydoginparis said, February 21st, 2009 at 3:47 pm

This is really interesting-I actually found this article when I was googling the same stuff.

Mostly, though, I just wanted to find the model who posed as Mallory. She really can’t be THAT ugly, can she?