Yeah, I know, wrong holiday, but… it’s something which has been weighing on my mind. I posted about it on the boards, but i felt it was worth repeating here.

In LS, there are several Easter-themed books. There’s Karen’s Bunny and Karen’s Easter Parade out of the ones I’ve read. In BSC, though, there is absolutely no mention of Easter. In none of the the springtime books is it ever mentioned.

This is surprising for a couple of reasons. One, an Easter Egg Hunt seems like something that Kristy would love to organize. Two, they celebrate all of the other major holidays–Fourth of July, Valentine’s Day, New Year’s, Halloween, and yes, Christmas–several times. I suppose that you could argue that Christmas in the US is more secular than Easter in the US, but if you were going to use that argument, then why is Easter mentioned in LS?

Is LS, for whatever reason, more religiously-focused than BSC?

lilysela said, February 15th, 2008 at 4:55 am

The only religiously focused thing I can can remember having to do with the BSC/LS series was Nancy/Abby being Jewish. I always thought that Nancy being Jewish was portrayed more accurately in the LS books than Abby being Jewish was in the BSC series.
Nancy seemed to really understand what her religion was about and celebrate the holidays properly – temple with Karen’s adopted Grandma, not eating bacon in Karen’s Sleepover for example. And whenever Karen celebrated Christmas in the LS books, the Jewish holidays were bought up without the feeling that what the author was really trying to say was that Christmas was the one, true holiday.
In the BSC, whenever being Jewish was concerned, mainly in regards to Abby, it seemed like all they could say was ZOMG 13 YEAR OLDS HAVE A BAT MITZVAH!! and sometimes it seemed like Abby celebrated Christmas anyway, only slightly making a comment in passing that it was the first night of Hanukkah, or something.

Laura said, February 15th, 2008 at 6:10 am

I’m sure I remember Mallory’s family being mentioned as Catholic. I can imagine them totally going in for Easter. And you’re right, an egg hunt sounds right up Kristy’s alley. Interesting…

Mara said, February 15th, 2008 at 8:03 am

I think it was Amanda and Max Delaney who said Mallory must be catholic because they have so many kids. I don’t know if that ever turned out to be true.

greer said, February 15th, 2008 at 8:26 am

It was the Lowell kids who made that comment about Mallory.

I don’t know whether you can say whether someone practiced Judaism “properly” or not… my brother and sister are being raised Jewish and they eat bacon, even though it’s technically against Jewish law. Nancy did seem more religiously observant than Abby though. Plus, aren’t you supposed to be Bat Mitzvah’d at 12??

Penny said, February 15th, 2008 at 2:46 pm

I was about to mention “Karen’s Religion” when I remembered it was actually fanfiction. So I really don’t know — it does seem like religion is noticed more in the LS books, as its not really mentioned at all in the BSC books other then “Abby’s Jewish”

Jenn said, February 16th, 2008 at 10:53 am

Bat mitzvah are usually done at around 12, but from what I’ve noticed at my synagogue, they tend to just do them all for students in a certain school year, so some are 12 and some end up being 13. Of course, given that Abby’s birthday is in October, she should have been one of the girls who’s still 12 when it happens, but I’ll chalk that one up to the Stoneybrook time warp.

Ashley said, February 16th, 2008 at 5:16 pm

I wouldn’t say that the LS was more religiously-focused at all, because they never give the reason for Easter, at least not that I can remember. It’s all about the chocolate and candy. I think maybe they were hurting for storylines, and holidays are things that kids like most. After all, a lot of the other LS books are holiday themed.

Heidi said, March 3rd, 2008 at 4:39 pm

Laura and Mara, I was just thinking about that the other day, because I was trying remember which book that comment was in (an early Mallory episode). From what I can recall, with not much certainty, it went something like this:
Mallory: “There’s eight kids in my family.”
Innocent bystander: “Wow. Are you Catholic?”
Mallory: “No.” Thinks to herself: Why does everyone say that?