I always enjoy reading the Letters From Ann on her site. In this letter, Ann takes us through her home.

Here is Ann sitting at her “desk”. As you can see, there is no computer! Ann is writing a book out on a yellow legal pad in this picture. There’s also what looks to be a finished manuscript–the next Main Street book perhaps? You can also see Sadie lounging in the lower right corner. Ann seems to have a fondness for strong, dark wood furniture and woodwork.

Ann’s kitchen. Can you spot the Wizard of Oz street sign? I also spy some cat tchotchkes. Ann’s kitchen is actually smaller than I imagined. Perhaps it opens up into a larger eating nook. The notecards that seem to be hanging precariously over the stove worry me–seems like a fire safety risk. Cook carefully, Ann.

Ann likes to exercise in her den. Sadly, in this shot she’s just sitting in her chair. Looking at her tv, I see that Ann has still not made the switch to a DVD player. Maybe she was holding out during the HD-DVD/Blu-ray battle? I also notice that there is no cable box. I hope that Ann is prepared for when analog broadcast ceases. She has until February 17th of next year.

Here is Ann’s complete collection of BSC books. I wish this were a higher quality pic so I could see what languages the books were. I once called Scholastic to see what exactly these nineteen languages were that the books were published in, but no one had an answer.

Ann at her sewing table. She seems to really like working at the end of long wooden surfaces.

And here, Ann appears to be making a Christmas card. How Claudia! Ann also has some heavy-duty tools laying around: a hammer, a blue electronic device that I can’t identify. And some more vaseline lotion like she had in the kitchen. Ann must also suffer from winter skin like me. I recommend LUSH Dream Cream.

And lastly, an oil painting Ann painted in second grade. Is it better than a Hodges Soileau painting? You decide!

Ann’s house features many small flower prints, dark wood, and the color yellow. That seems very Mary Anne to me.

Ashley said, March 10th, 2008 at 5:47 am

Those pics are pretty damn cool, her house is so normal!! And I love her BSC collection!!!

So here’s what I think I can tell:

**under the Little Sister/Ms Colman books (2nd set of shelves) the third shelf is regular British books and British collections (the 3-books-in-one). The fourth shelf is British Super Specials and British Mysteries (though it looks like a movie adaptation snuck it’s way in.) The big books behind the movie adaptation could be the British CDs. And on the shelf below that, I spy the British Ms Colman books, so I’m guessing those are British Little Sisters behind them, since they have the same format.

**the 3rd set of shelves, I’m guessing those are the Italian covers on teh top two shelves? I was going to say the French Folio Juniors, but I pulled out my copies and they don’t have pics on the spines. I wish I could remember the link for the Italian covers. I’m dying to know what the pink books with blue spines are on the third shelf. And I spy German CDs starting off the fourth shelf, but I can’t decipher anything else on there.

**On the last set of shelves, the second shelf is Heritage Jeunesse French books, I’m assuming the rainbow spines on the shelf above it are as well. Those are the regular series books. The digest-sized blue ones are the Heritage Jeunesse Mysteries, and the skinny white spines to the right of them are the HJ Little Sister. I’m wagering a guess that the thick white covers to the left of the HJ Mysteries are HJ Super Specials, I don’t have any of those. Don’t know the third shelf, but the fourth and fifth shelves are the Norwegian books. The fifth shelf are the two-books-in-one format, and the fourth self are the Regular Series – they’re released in the two different formats.

That’s about all that I can tell, but what a freaking DIBBLE collection!! It looks like she prefers the old covers to the new ones, judging by the colours on her very first shelf. ;)

myu said, March 10th, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Yes, the UK Little Sisters are behind the KIMCC books. Re. the books behind the movie adaptation: I zoomed in on them and I *think* they’re the School Year Diary and “Merry Christmas, Babysitter” (UK edition of Secret Santa). I’m 90% sure.
Ashley, were there even British CDs? I never saw any out here…

Ashley said, March 10th, 2008 at 4:49 pm

There sure were British CDs, they were published by Scholastic Hippo. I have five of them.
Those are the covers of 5, 6, 7, and 8.

corduroy said, March 10th, 2008 at 6:02 pm

I love Arts and Crafts-style houses. Lucky Ann!

andrea jean said, March 10th, 2008 at 9:05 pm

doesn’t she hate to cook? that could explain the less-than-large kitchen. (actually, i just thought about it — she hates cooking, and mary anne sucks at the cooking part of home ec!)

aaaames said, March 11th, 2008 at 12:44 am

Yeah, corduroy, I am soooo jealous especially of the crafts table! I would kill for one of those!

puck said, March 11th, 2008 at 2:29 am

aww, the cat food in the (crazy frightening) books picture.

this reminds me of meg cabot’s art show: http://www.megcabot.com/diary/?p=252

greer said, March 11th, 2008 at 1:28 pm

@puck: THAT’S what those cans are! i couldn’t figure it out. um, why doesn’t she keep that in the kitchen or closet?

myu said, March 11th, 2008 at 5:09 pm

@chicken queen – I thought you meant actual CDs (as in compact disc audio books)…I feel so stupid ^.^. Yep, I have all the California Diaries that were published here (1-10). I’m almost positive that at least one of the books is the UK Secret Santa – the red one with the pale bit on the spine – none of the California Diaries have a spine quite like that.

Rebecca said, March 11th, 2008 at 6:18 pm

I’m fairly certain that blue tool on her crafting table is a heat embosser. I can’t say for sure, but that’s my guess.

Thanks for posting the pics–I hadn’t seen them!

johanna said, March 13th, 2008 at 12:40 am

Oh, wow. I didn’t realize that Ann was my mother! I’m a little confused.

Rita said, March 13th, 2008 at 4:26 pm

Is that last picture of Karen and Andrew? :)

Virjo said, March 13th, 2008 at 4:49 pm

the blue/violet books are the spanish ones!! i know it cuz i own them^^
it looks so pretty.. i want to buy them all just to stare at them ^^ like, examining a work of art

wanderingfrog said, April 21st, 2008 at 8:56 am

I agree with Ashley that those are the Italian covers on the top two shelves of the third section. I have images of all the Italian covers saved on my hard drive because I am a dork.

On the last set of shelves, the books on the top shelf are the Heritage Jeunesse books, the 66 books in the regular series and a HJ copy of Claudia’s Book. The second shelf does indeed have the HJ Super Specials, HJ Mysteries, and the six skinny books following those (four white and two pink) are the HJ LS books. I don’t know what the books to the right of them are.

Lizzy said, October 4th, 2008 at 6:38 pm

I have the same kettle as Ann. Random…

I love seeing how many BSC books she has!

» Early Ann Books Readalong, Week Five: Missing Since Monday Stoneybrookite: the best friends you’ll never have said, May 5th, 2014 at 12:49 pm

[...] in their house that is in what used to be “the sewing room.” Now, I understand that Ann would totally have a sewing room. Mrs. Towne, I can buy it. Future Mary Anne? Sure. But why do sewing rooms seem to be such a common [...]