As promised, here are my thoughts on Dawn and the We <3 Kids Club.

Dawn was my favorite member for quite some time. I liked her LOOOOONNNG white blonde hair. Being a platnium blonde myself, I envied her, as my mother didn’t let me grow out my pageboy until fifth grade or so. I also was what my boyfriend calls an “aspiring vegetarian.” And California seemed even more glamorous to me than New York City. Finally, I, too, wanted to be seen as a laid-back individual.

As we all know, Dawn is rarely actually a laid-back individual. This book is indeed one of those times where she defies her chapter 2 characteristics and is anything but laid-back.

This is a Dawn-in-Palo City book. I happen to enjoy reading about Palo City a fair amount. I am a big California Diaries fan. Thus, this is a book I reread fairly frequently. There are so many crazy things in this book, starting with the laid-back lack of school bells! OMG! I went to school on the East Coast and never had bells either, but I digress.

First moment of craziness–the W<3KC gets famous! They are in the newspaper and on TV! Dawn has a laugh like pealing bells! Kristy gets really jealous. Oh, Kristy. Kristy is pretty annoying in this book, so I don't want to focus on this part too much. Basically, despite the fact that the BSC has more business than they can handle, Kristy wants to equal, if not better, the W<3KC media attention.

But the W<3KC can't handle it! They are too disorganized! Dawn steers them in the right direction, starting with an appointment book for the CORRECT YEAR.

In this book we also get to spend more time with Carol Olson. Dawn’s newfound respect for Carol from California Girls! flies out the window when Jack and Carol announce their engagement. Dawn sees it necessary to steal her dad’s credit card, book a flight to Connecticut out of LAX, and rechristen herself “Marisol.” Lo and behold, she is not welcomed with open arms in Stoneybrook. Dawn=delusional. Mary Anne=rocking an LL Bean nightgown.

If I had done this at thirteen I would have been in such deep shit. If I did this at 22 I would still be in deep shit. All Dawn has to do is work back the cost of the plane ticket–a nice large sum, to be sure, but still.

Dawn’s punishment, however, is not mentioned in any subsequent book. It’s possible she worked it off fast, what with all the extra baby-sitting jobs the W<3KC got after their media blitz, but still.

Dawn’s actions also cause Jack and Carol to break off their engagement. Poor Carol. I would feel so bad if my future stepdaughter flew across the country to get away from me.

But don’t worry, she always pulls herself up to the top of heap. I still don’t really understand what that means. Jeff doesn’t either.

So yeah, this book pretty much encourages children to steal from their parents if they don’t like their future stepparents. After all, the punishment won’t carry over into the next book and you’ll totally get what you want: a break up! Yay!

For next time: Mallory Pike, #1 Fan.

muriel mercurial said, April 27th, 2008 at 6:56 pm

I’ve re-read these books a million times when I was younger, and every single time Dawn would irritate me to no end. She was never laid back, and she was never a unique individual. I am a born and raised Californian, and the way Dawn was described was based off of inconsistent stereotypes that made no sense to me. I never, ever knew anyone like Dawn, even though I knew tons of vegetarians and surfers. It always bothered me that she was the one who was supposed to represent me. Whatever, this book was ok, and I agree with your points.

I also really like this blog, I love love love meeting fellow childhood BSC fanatics, it’s so nice to have people understand all the thoughts and feelings that went through me as a child.

Keep up the great work!

wanderingfrog said, April 27th, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Word. If Dawn were my daughter, I would ground her until the end of time for pulling that stunt.

Laura @ hungryandfrozen said, April 28th, 2008 at 12:45 am

You’re right, they never mention this so-called punishment later on. Poor Carol indeed :) The whole “Dawn as individual” schtick grinds my gears no end, especially as being a vegetarian is no more individual than liking ballet or having diabetes. I could go on, lol. The one thing I always remember from this book is that Jill is inexplicably wearing socks on the front cover and that they eat cashew butter at some point which I thought sounded insanely good.

Rhiannon said, April 29th, 2008 at 8:09 pm

I can’t help but feel that Dawn needs a good dose of Valium or Xanax or something. She sounds like the coolest person you could ever meet when others talk about her. But I won’t lie, Dawn scared the SHIT out of me as a kid whenever I’d read her books. Its like she could see through the books and realise that I had **gasp** threw away that can without recycling.

This book in particular ticked me off because you’re right, I’m 24 and I’d probably be murdered if I pulled a stunt like that. Dawn gets off scot free all the damn time.

Bitch.

Colette said, April 30th, 2008 at 6:53 pm

I always thought it was ridiculously exciting that Dawn stole her dad’s credit card and then flew across America. I really wanted her to pull it off and arrive back in Stoneybrook to be welcomed with open arms.

I hate how cold everyone on the East coast was.

I love it when the BSC are rebels!

corduroy said, April 30th, 2008 at 7:34 pm

Jesus, they really cranked it to 11 with this one. they couldn’t just have her run away, oh no. she had to STEAL A CREDIT CARD and fly across the country.

Jenn said, May 1st, 2008 at 10:45 am

I was so mad that she got away with it with few repercussions. It’d have been very easy to reference her punishment in a later book, too. Like in a CA book that Dawn couldn’t go to the mall because all of her money was going toward paying back the plane ticket. Or it’s some event where she needs a present, and she hand-made some environmentally friendly thing instead of buying it because she didn’t have the money.

But apart from Nola Thacker (or is it Ellen Miles who likes referencing other books), the BSC isn’t exactly known for its continuity.

KlM14 said, January 15th, 2009 at 4:48 am

well i nevered read that book but come on. stealing a creadit card and flying arcross amercia. and not getting punshed. Dawns meant to be strong but flying away coz of a stupid step. not that carols stupid.