I think that my hatred of Logan is one of my strongest and most steadfast BSC opinions. Thus, I can’t help but look at this book through special Logan-hating goggles.

One of the biggest illusions that the BSC gives its young readers is that the mousy, shy girl who can barely speak to the opposite sex will end up with the cute Big Man On Campus, despite the fact that if Mary Anne were a Monopoly property, she’d be WaterWorks. But I think that all of middle school losers should be thankful the boys made fun of us instead of making out with us, because we could have ended up with boyfriends like Logan.

In this book, however, Logan seems pretty sweet, being very understanding when MA doesn’t want to dance after clocking Mr. Kingbridge in the head with her shoe, or when MA runs away from her own birthday party. He doesn’t really show signs of the Draculogan he will become in the future, the one who gives iron chain bracelets as presents after being dumped.

One of the essential questions that this book will ultimately raise in a reader is, “Why Mary Anne?” After all, sophisticated Stacey seemed interested. I have two answers for this. One comes from what we know about Ann. Mary Anne is an exaggerated version of Ann, and she wanted to give her doppelganger the chance of a dreamy junior high school romance that she never had. The other answer I have, from a very biased perspective that affects my analysis of Logan’s character, is that Logan wanted a girlfriend he can control. Looking at the character of Lyman Bruno, it’s not hard to see where that stems from.

Sorry for the long time between updates, but in the last couple of weeks I didn’t have time to sleep, let alone write a thoughtful and coherent blog post. Next on the agenda: my review of Best Friends and a look at Stacey and the Bad Girls.

Jenn said, May 15th, 2008 at 10:51 am

You know, when I was younger, I thought Logan seemed like a great boyfriend. I was always more partial to Alan Gray and Sam Thomas, but Logan seemed like an ok guy. Reading it now, though, it seems like domestic abuse waiting to happen.

greer said, May 15th, 2008 at 12:09 pm

I didn’t develop my strong feelings about Logan until I became an adult. When I was younger I wanted them to stay together.

Fear Street said, May 15th, 2008 at 4:12 pm

I was never a huge Logan fan either.

Can’t wait for “Stacey and the Bad Girls”!

tinypants said, May 15th, 2008 at 8:00 pm

“If Mary Anne were a Monopoly property, she’d be WaterWorks.” = This is amazing and works on so many levels.

And yeah, your analysis of Logan is pretty dark — I don’t remember liking him much as a kid, but as an adult, rereading the later ones — “Mary Anne Misses Logan” even — he seems pretty creepy and controlling. Especially for a 13-year-old!

I agree with Jenn — Sam Thomas seems like a cooler date. Plus bonus, I’m sure it pisses off/creeps out Kristy.

myu said, May 16th, 2008 at 4:04 am

I didn’t have many thoughts about Logan when I was younger, perhaps because he wasn’t fleshed out all that much. Now I’m fairly neutral as regards Logan, because I feel most of the male characters in the series weren’t really given much development.

Rhiannon said, May 18th, 2008 at 4:19 pm

Logan always seemed so unrealistic to me, even as a kid. I just couldn’t understand how a 13 year old guy could handled a Roller Coaster like Mary Anne. I know a lot of fans tend to be Logan/MA OTP, but I was relieved she finally grew a backbone in the FF series and dumped his ass for good.

I didn’t particularly HATE Logan, but I certianly thought he was a tool in the making.

Kylie90210 said, July 9th, 2008 at 10:04 pm

I used to like Logan, and now I am quite neutral toward him.

He can definately be weird though… a horse drawn carriage?!

Amanda said, December 28th, 2008 at 1:45 pm

in re. to Kylie: I’m neutral towards him. But I think I lean a little more towards LIKE than HATE.

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 8:53 pm

i dont know
while im glad mary anne and logan broke up
because of the fact that he became more controlling
and stuff
however
im also kinda sad
and hope that mary anne and logan gets back together
so yeah
i have to say’
im very nuetral about logan

Claudia said, July 30th, 2010 at 3:12 pm

same with the others. I used to be a big fan of Logan growing up, but now after rereading the books, i was so hoping that mary anne would dump logan and move on to other guys like say pete black of cary retlin.

Now that i think about it, I think of Logan as a tool rather than just a boyfriend.