I’m not going to do a review of the two latest Main Street books, as I didn’t bring the books with me and I read them nearly two months ago. I will say that I think the series is on an upward trajectory in terms of quality and these two books focused more on the lives of the townspeople instead of just the four girls, which I enjoyed. I think Ann recognizes that this is a series which those of who read the BSC religiously are also going to pick up, because I think the stories have a wider appeal, age-wise, than the BSC did.

One thing that bothers me about Main Street, though, is that I’m not sure that I would be reading it if it weren’t by Ann. Actually, I’m certain that I would have just never discovered it in the first place, but if I had by chance picked it up, I’m not sure it would held my attention. What I like about Main Street is… the Ann-ness. The Wizard of Oz and I Love Lucy references! Names of people I recognize from BSC, like David Leviathan, BSC editor! The BSC to me has the qualities of a security blanket, and Main Street has some of the same qualities and familiarity that the BSC possesses.

I know that not everyone who is a fan of the BSC likes Main Street. Some find the subject matter–small town! sewing!–not terribly interesting. And some have also criticized Main Street for seeming so PC, like everyone in Camden Falls has some kind of special chapter 2-defining characteristic that the people who were mean to the Ramseys when they first moved to the ‘Brook would have an issue with. In Camden Falls though, everyone gets along!

So, do you read Main Street? If it weren’t written by Ann, would you still read it?

Donica said, December 7th, 2008 at 8:41 pm

Yeah, I wouldn’t have picked upthe Main STreet series had it not been written by Ann M. Martin, but I’m actually enjoying them. I love that she’s writing again (and she’s the one that’s doing the writing!), and I’m sure that I’ll keep on reading them.

Myu said, December 9th, 2008 at 3:04 pm

I don’t read Main Street, and I definitely wouldn’t even consider reading one if they hadn’t been written by AMM. If I happened to see one (doubtful, as I don’t think they’ve been published in the UK…plus I’m abroad anyway) then I might have a flick through it, but I wouldn’t buy one.

Donica said, December 10th, 2008 at 12:43 am

OT, but seriously, why is it whenever I click on my name, where it’s supopsed to take it to my blog, it takes me to a bibles studies website instead?
The URL is right :|

Donica said, December 10th, 2008 at 12:44 am

Oh shoot, nevermind… it WAS wrong, but barely. Now I’ve completely filled up your messages with useless posts… *goes to corner and twiddles thumbs*

ashley said, December 10th, 2008 at 1:59 am

I still only have the first one, and I liked it. I’d like to get the others sometime. But I definitely wouldn’t read them if they were written by anyone else. That’s not to say that they wouldn’t be read at all, though. I don’t really know what book series are out there for kids, and it’s obviously not just us old BSC fans reading Main Street.

Gabrielle said, December 11th, 2008 at 2:47 am

That’s a really interesting question actually. I did seek them out because they were written by Ann and I was curious. I think they are cute if a little too sickly sweet at times. I guess there is the possibility that I would have picked up one in a bookstore if I had run across it since I do like interesting kids books sometimes. However part of the charm for me in the books is picking out the similarities to the BSC books. I don’t know if I would have liked them as much.