One of the complaints about Friends Forever is that people don’t like the fight between Claudia or Stacey, especially since they were fighting over a boy who seems pretty boring and non-descript. One of the great friendships of children’s literature, and they let some guy whose distinguishing characteristic is a leather shoelace worn around his wrist come between them?

While rereading Claudia and the Friendship Feud recently, a question popped into my mind. Who did I side with: Claudia or Stacey? It’s a hard question. Claudia feels that Stacey stole her boyfriend, except that he never was her boyfriend. Stacey feels that since Jeremy admitted that he had no feelings for Claudia, but that he did have feelings for Stacey, that she should be free to go for him.

On the one hand, it goes against “girl code” that a friend would go after a guy she knew you liked. On the other, it would be selfish of Claudia to stand in the way of Stacey’s happiness when there was, according to Jeremy, no chance that he would develop feelings to Claudia (although this proved not to be true later).

The best answer I can come up with to this question is that there is no black-and-white, true answer. Stacey was wrong to go after a guy Claudia liked, BUT it is also not really fair, in my opinion, to expect Stacey to not go after someone she liked–and who liked her back–just because Claudia said she liked him first. Is there no other boy at Stoneybrook Middle School? And I don’t like how Claudia sees it as “Stacey stole my boyfriend” when HE WAS NEVER HER BOYFRIEND.

Opinions? Who do you side with?

BananaBomb said, December 19th, 2008 at 5:47 pm

I didn’t side with either one of them. I thought Claudia was being ridiculous and Stacey was being a real bitch about it. I was really surprised that they stopped talking over a boy, since they were supposedly so close.

andreajean said, December 19th, 2008 at 6:23 pm

I just re-read Stacey vs. Claudia and Claudia Gets Her Guy. I’m kind of siding with Claudia, especially since Stacey was still going out with Ethan when they met Jeremy.

That said, I love the things they say about each other when they fight –

Stacey: You can’t spell!
Claudia: Yeah? Well, you’re way too stuck up about being from New York! “It’s not exactly a claim to fame!”

Laura said, December 20th, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I kind of sided with Stacey, mostly because when it started, it was told from her point of view. But really, that was pretty bitchy of her to do when she still was with Ethan. I do think that Claudia made too big of a deal of it, though.

nikki said, December 20th, 2008 at 10:37 pm

We need a female equivalent to the saying “Bros before hos.”

ashley said, December 21st, 2008 at 12:11 am

Nikki, I always say “chicks before dicks” as the female equivalent.

I don’t really side with anyone on this. It’s a realistic fight, but it annoyed me. I guess I’d be on Stace’s side, since yeah, Jeremy did say there was no way that he’d like Claud and Stacey made sure of that, but even still, she DID have Ethan while this was going on. I’m just not a fan of their fighting books, even though it did let us get to know Erica Blumberg a little better.

mizzmarvel said, December 25th, 2008 at 8:54 pm

I so side with Stacey. Though Claudia reacted insanely, this is a recurring theme for Stacey — choosing boys over friends — and one I can’t respect. Moreover, she acted like a total bitch about it in Claudia’s books.

mizzmarvel said, December 25th, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I meant side AGAINST Stacey. lol.

Amanda said, December 27th, 2008 at 2:49 pm

I side with Stace.Stace already was going out with Ethan, but Claud didn’t have to act like she was going to kill Stacey. They’re just a boy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Myu said, December 29th, 2008 at 10:52 am

At first I sort of sided with Stacey because Claudia was just generally annoying in that book, but on the other hand I think Stacey was a bitch to screw over her boyfriend and her best friend, so hm. Neither of them, really.

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 7:32 pm

well i say neither of them
but for good reasons
while claudia had no right to say jeremy was her boyfriend when jeremy didnt even said he was her boyfriend
however stacey shouldnt of done that to claudia and ethan
and it was mean of her to say those things to claudia

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

but neither of them will get jeremy
cause stacey and jeremy ends up breaking up in the end
cause jeremy became a little more controlling
and would get jealous of all the boys that stacey paid attention too
in stacey and the boyfriend trap
and they both became very busy
especially stacey
now that her father was about to get remarried to his girlfriend samantha

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 7:37 pm

but claudia doesnt end up with jeremy either
cause now that jeremy is finally realizing how much claudia likes him
not to mention realizing he should of went out with claudia
he asks claudia out
but it becomes too late for him
also
in claudia and the disaster date
she ends up dating alan gray
(yes jerky alan gray)
due to a dare
but it turns out to be serious
cause we see a nice
soft side of alan
not to mention
he really does seem like the type of guy claudia really wants
and needs
and they end up going out in the end

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 7:39 pm

so neither of them ends up with jeremy
cause stacey and jeremy’s relationship
just isnt working out
(as well as stacey and claudia’s friendship)
and claudia ends up with a better guy
who turns out to be alan gray
(who is a lot more nicer
and actually sweet
than in the books that portray him
so yeah
that’s why

Claudia said, July 30th, 2010 at 3:10 pm

while it was wrong for stacey to go out with a guy claudia likes, however im not on neither’s side because i don’t know what they see in that guy. I can’t stand Jeremy Rudolph. His name even sounds gross.

vadess40 said, May 17th, 2011 at 3:00 pm

Honestly, I’m not siding with either of them. I think that the characters in this series are taking dating WAY too seriously. I mean, they are only 13 years old! It’s not like they’re 30 and planning out their wedding day and just need some guy to be the groom. Elizabeth Wakefield from Sweet Valley High didn’t take her relationships this seriously, and she was 16 and the “good” and committing twin (although, she was a mistrusting bitch to her boyfriend quite a few times)!