Many people believe that Dawn got extremely annoying as the series went on, constantly proselytizing about the environment and never being able to decide which side of the country she wanted to live on. I am torn, as Dawn was one of my favorite characters growing up and although it is hard to bring myself to read Dawn Saves the Planet, I love the California Diaries.

There is an issue with Dawn, however, that as a notoriously picky eater I am unable to ignore. I was reminded of this problem yesterday, while I was rereading BSC in the USA. In this book, the Northern RV meets up with Mary Anne’s grandmother at the Mall of America, where Dawn forces everyone to eat at a health food restaurant. Now, Mary Anne’s grandmother traveled to come meet them. I feel like it should have been HER choice as to where people eat. Dawn can eat from the salad bar or something if she really wants to be picky. I myself am a picky eater, as I mentioned before, and if I’m with a bunch of people who all want to eat at a place that doesn’t have food that I like, I just go to McDonald’s afterward.

I remember Dawn doing this sort of thing a lot, forcing everyone to kowtow to her special eating habits or environmental practices or whatever. Stacey didn’t do this, and girl had a legitimate medical reason for her diet. I think that this is a large part of Dawn’s bad reputation among older fans. She often displays this sort of selfishness. I believe it was largely responsible for her fight with Sunny in the California Diaries series. Sunny was going through the most traumatic event of her life, and Dawn couldn’t be bothered to empathize with her; she just was angry with Sunny for not reacting to it in what Dawn felt was an appropriate manner. Dawn just never seems to be able to think about anybody except Dawn Schafer.

Penny Lane said, January 28th, 2009 at 12:57 am

Maybe this is why I have no friends. I *am* Dawn. ;)

Abby said, January 28th, 2009 at 9:38 am

Dawn is definitely bossy and self absorbed, but I think the forcing everyone to eat what she likes is not just about her being happy, but she really, really believes that if she can just get them to TRY it, they will love it and eat it all the time and be healthy and perfect just like her.

I see her more like one of those obnoxious religious freaks that are always trying to “save” people.

bananabomb said, January 29th, 2009 at 9:39 am

I really like Dawn’s early books. She’s as easy-going as everyone says she is. but after #50, she takes a turn for the worse. Maybe part of Dawn’s self-awareness came with selfishness.

I think it’s great that she stood up for her beliefs, but to stand up and PUSH for everyone else to be like her was too much.

I’ve never read any of the California Diaries, sounds like she can redeem herself.

corduroy said, January 29th, 2009 at 8:10 pm

Kristy may have been bossy, but at least she could pull stuff off. I consider Dawn to be more pushy, which serves no real purpose.

Myu said, February 2nd, 2009 at 7:53 am

Agreed. I’d never have made a big group of my friends go somewhere purely because I wanted to go there – particularly if they didn’t like the kind of food the restaurant served. As far as eating out goes, the majority vote wins.

charmecia said, February 26th, 2010 at 7:09 pm

more like pushy and stuck up is more like it
i mean
the girl hated on stacey just because stacey wanted to spend more time with her boyfriend more
then she tried spying on stacey too
that girl has psycho problems
(but i still love dawn anyways)