Writing this entry took a lot longer than I planned. It was hard, very hard, to form a cohesive statement on Dawn Schafer’s positive points. This was actually surprising to me, since Dawn did have a run as my favorite BSC character. I decided that instead of trying to make a cohesive, essay-type entry, a list would suffice.

Why I kind of like Dawn sometimes:

• Recipe ideas.
    My natural eating inclination is closer to Claudia’s, but sometimes a girl needs to lose some weight or lower her cholesterol or whatever. I wouldn’t really know where to begin on my own, if I ever actually was serious about eating better. But I could go to my Dawn books and get some recipe ideas! Plus, she made sure that a generation of girls knew what babaganoush was, and what hummus was made out of (garlic, chickpeas, and tahini!). Even though the other girls in the BSC had the same reaction to Dawn’s diet as they did to Stacey giving herself shots of insulin, most of the stuff she ate, in retrospect, sounds pretty yummy.

• The California Diaries.
    The California Diaries are awesome, and without Dawn, there would have been no California Diaries series. Dawn is definitely the lamest character in the series, with her worrying and stressing about everything while all her friends have actual, real problems, but these books are SO GOOD! They can go places that the BSC can’t, since they are written for a slightly older audience, and have sly references to things like drugs (The Tea Shop sells more than just tea, if you know what I mean), and homosexuality (Ducky McCrae). You have to at least give Dawn points for this series.

• Her bicoastalism.
    For some people, this is another negative for Dawn. Pick a state and stick with it! I like it, though, because I can relate. Only I am not bicoastal, but bicontinental. Suck on that, Schafer! Oh, wait. This is what I LIKE about Dawn.

• Orange County California Dreamin’.
    Sometimes it is nice to get out of Connecticut for a while and read Dawn’s Cali books. They include stuff like beaches and Disneyland, and Disney theme parks are one of my weaknesses. Dawn’s CA house also sounds really cool.

This is all I came up with, although I’m sure there’s more that have just escaped me at the moment, especially considering the fact that I, too, have double-pierced ears. So, tell me–what do you like about Dawn Read Schafer? Her birthday is coming in just a few days, so maybe I will put together another Dawn tribute post.

• 11 Responses To This Post

andreajean said, February 4th, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Dawn & Jeff – I like their brother/sister relationship. They tease sometimes but they’re close and care about each other.

bbb said, February 5th, 2009 at 4:20 am

Dawn’s birthday is tomorrow! What shall I get her? A book of ghost stories? Yes, I think so. I like that she’s really passionate about supernatural stuff. It’s more fun to read about her love of spooky things than her preaching about health food. I also like her relationship with her brother. Jeff is smart and funny, and their interactions are always interesting.

bbb said, February 5th, 2009 at 4:20 am

Oops, I mean today ;)

BananaBomb said, February 5th, 2009 at 5:04 pm

LOL I just did a birthday tribute post to Dawn on my blog. I too had a hard time coming up with good things to say about her.

Penny Lane said, February 6th, 2009 at 11:21 pm

I really like Dawn, now and in the past. I like the books about environmentalism, because I can totally relate to being insufferable and overly passionate about it — and not always going about it in a nice way. I also love her food and her bicostalism. And I used to really like reading about california and such. It sounded like such a nice place in the bsc books — full of good food and beaches.

Susan said, February 7th, 2009 at 1:11 am

FYI, if people who live in the Seattle area are looking to add to their collections, I spotted maybe a dozen or so BSC books for sale at both the Kingsgate Library (sort of between Bothell, Woodinville, and Kirkland) and at the Half Price Books at the Crossroads Mall in Bellevue. I can’t remember which ones…mid-range numbers, mostly, I think.

ashley said, February 7th, 2009 at 1:35 am

OT, but I just went to the Wiki and I got this message:

Parse error: syntax error, unexpected ‘

ashley said, February 7th, 2009 at 1:35 am

Bah, it cut off half the message. :\ But yeah, the Wiki isn’t working.

greer said, February 7th, 2009 at 5:53 am

@ashley: well, FUCK. :( :(

tinypants said, February 11th, 2009 at 4:17 pm

I think people like Dawn for a) her “looong” (purportedly nearly waist-length, though never that long on the covers) cornsilk-like hair and the b) constant cloaking of her obnoxious self-righteousness as “individualism,” as per the inevitable “Dawn is an _individual_” used in the descriptions. I don’t know, but IMO nothing says “I’m an individual” like constantly losing your entire personality over a boy (see “Dawn and the Older Boy,” “Dawn’s Big Date”) then going ballistic on Mary Anne when she tries to color outside the lines (“Mary Anne’s Makeover”). Idk Greer, I’m pretty impressed you came up with four things to like!

charmecia said, February 26th, 2010 at 7:04 pm

hmmmm
    im on your side on this one
    im a huge dawn fan myself
    and i too also like to read about dawn’s adventures in california
    cause i have a huge weakness for
    beaches as well as amusement parks
    and disney world
    (seafood too)
    and i totally love the california diaries
    theyre my favorite series next to the friends forever series
    and bsc of course
    i like the california dawn better than the connecticut or bsc dawn better
    because she isnt that annoying like she is on the bsc books
    and also i love reading about california
    and her friends too