Sometimes I feel like I go against the majority of BSC fans in regard to my personal feelings about BSC pairings. I don’t like Kristy/Cary… I prefer Mary Anne/Cary. I also don’t like Kristy/Alan… I prefer Claudia/Alan. Now, this is not because I buy into the “Kristy is a Lesbian” theory. I am quite fond of Kristy/Michel, actually.

The main reasoning between Alan and Kristy, as I’ve gathered, is that Kristy and Alan have the classic love/hate, teasing-because-I-like-you relationship. As with Kristy and Cary, sometimes I feel like hate/dislike is just that–no romantic overtones at all. Many people were quite blindsided by the Claudia/Alan storyline in Friends Forever, but once I thought about it a little more, it made a lot more sense than it seemed to at first.

Kristy and Alan seem to share of love of playing jokes on each other, but Alan has one thing that Kristy decidedly lacks: an artistic soul. It’s hidden, but it’s definitely there.

First, in Claudia and the Genius of Elm Street, Alan has an infamous scene where he shows up to Claudia’s “gallery” opening and draws disgusting pictures:

I thought she saw a painting of some candy she didn’t like. But when I turned around, I saw she was staring at a crude drawing of a dead cat next to a candy wrapper.

“What is that?” I said.

I walked toward it, and saw another wrinkled sheet of paper tacked up nearby. That one showed a terrible drawing of a grungy-looking toothless man eating a candy bar. He was smiling happily and saying “Mmm!” while the candy was flaking down his chin.

I quickly tore down the disgusting drawings. Who could have –

Then I saw Alan Gray squatting in a corner with a pad of paper and a pencil. “Hey! Cut that out!” I yelled.

Alan sprang to his feet, giving me his dumbest grin. “Go home, Alan, okay?” I said. “Don’t ruin my show.”

“Sure, Claudia,” he said. “No problem. See you.”

Alan also participates in the portrait drawing contest in Claudia Makes Up Her Mind–losing, of course. And when he is trying to romantically seduce Claudia, he makes her a pin out of sculpey and dyes a flower several different colors using the stem-splitting method. He also has an artistically-minded appreciation of anime.

Alan Gray has an artistic, sensitive soul; one that he covers up with jokes and pranks and being obnoxious. In the quote from Elm Street above, it seems like he just wants Claudia’s attention. And he’s not a jerk when she asks him to go home; he just leaves.

Kristy is not sensitive to understand Alan Gray. Once Claudia looks beyond his reputation, she gets The Real Alan.

Do you agree, or do you still like Kristy/Alan?

andreajean said, February 11th, 2009 at 9:42 pm

i liked kristy/alan in the beginning books (they go to the dance in #2, right?) but i really liked how claudia/alan developed in FF. they seem like kind of an odd couple (she’s cool and he’s really goofy) but one that works.

Alice said, February 11th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

I’ve always liked Mary Anne/Cary and Claudia/Alan too, those are my favourite BSC pairings. Btw, I’m figuring out MediaWiki right now :)

Rhiannon said, February 12th, 2009 at 2:02 pm

Kristy has a love-hate relationship with anyone that has a penis. But when it comes to shipping its Kristy/Michel because I think this is a case were opposites attract. Michel, being far more laidback about life, balances Kristy’s anal rentiveness.

I wasn’t all that surprised when Claudia/Alan hooked up. I never read that FF book ((never even owned it)) but to me I think they fit each other nicely. Of course I’m probably a little biased because I loved how Claud and Alan were written in Meant to Be on FF.net. It was the kind of relatonship I think Claud deserved.

bbb said, February 12th, 2009 at 5:21 pm

I think Cary is much more the renaissance man than Alan. Alan just seems angry underneath the surface because no one takes him seriously. I haven’t read the books with Claudia/Alan, but I plan to. It seems like an okay pairing, but I think Claudia can do better. I often wish she’d done better, because I think she’s really cool and had high standards and deserved someone who would really appreciate her.

I don’t think Mary Anne and Cary’s temperaments would work well together. I think he’s too sneaky for her, and he would ultimately make her uncomfortable. It’s not an altogether bad pairing, though. I think Kristy/Alan in the beginning is cute (in Phantom Phone Calls, when he asks her to the dance, she answers “oh gosh, is THAT all? Of course I’ll go with you.” Haha.) But I like the idea of Kristy/Cary better. I don’t think they hate each other. They seem really interested in what makes the other tick. It often goes that Kristy can’t get Cary off of her mind, that’s how much of an influence he has on her.

baseballchica03 said, February 15th, 2009 at 4:02 pm

I’m more a fan of Alan/Abby than Alan/Kristy, although I’m willing to go along with Alan/Claudia. I know that Alan and Abby don’t get much interaction in the series, but I feel like their senses of humor are pretty similar without having that antagonistic component that he has with Kristy. And I think there’s more to both of them than we get to see (even though Abby has her own books, we still don’t get to know her very well).

greer said, February 15th, 2009 at 6:06 pm

@baseballchica03: were you a part of babysit? Alan/Abby was the big plotline there, from what I can recall.

mizzmarvel said, February 17th, 2009 at 7:53 am

MA/Carey is like my big BSC het OTP. It would have been amazing to see Kristy’s reaction to MA going there.

That being said, I like Claudia/Alan a lot more than Kristy/Alan. I honestly can’t see Kristy getting past that kneejerk revulsion, by that point in the series.

sarish said, February 21st, 2009 at 12:41 am

I love Alan. I have always been a fan of Alan/Kristy but I also liked him with Claudia. Cary and Mary Anne is still my favorite pair though. Alan really was a decent guy through it all.

Dominique said, April 22nd, 2009 at 9:03 am

Alan is okay, I always liked Alan\Kristy, and I don’t like Bart\Kristy. But Bart’s a good sport, and that’s whar I like.

charmecia said, January 14th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

dude
of course alan and claudia
ive always loved the friends forever series
cause you get to see their more serious sides
far from babysitting
and more on them
not to mention
throughout this series
alan becomes a more nicer
sweeter guy
and turns out to be the guy that claudia needs
and wants all along
and i could tell he really loves claudia
because of her practical mind
and the way she handles things
not to mention they both are serious when it comes to art
and she really appreciates alan
so hell yeah
alan and claudia
besides
i started liking alan a little more in the friends forever series
than in the babysitter’s club books
cause he becomes a lot more interesting
than in the books that portray him

charmecia said, March 17th, 2010 at 4:25 pm

and i agree with bbb i like the kristy/cary pairing more
cause they always seem to be interested in what makes the other tick
not to mention cary is the only boy ive known so far
that could make kristy really tick
and then apologize also
read kristy power in the bsc friends forever and youll see what i mean

Claudia said, July 30th, 2010 at 2:51 pm

I prefer Claudia/Alan. Besides the reason why Claudia wouldn’t go out with him was because of Kristy’s power and domineerance towards her.
May i add that Kristy would hardly harbor any feelings towards man, let alone Alan Gray, so im definitely all for Claudia/Alan.

Melissa said, October 20th, 2010 at 8:37 am

I love the Mary Anne/Cary pairing also cause I don’t like the way Logan is always controlling Mary Anne and with how he acts sometimes. Plus Cary is cute and much more cooler (and mysterious), which I like. I guess you could say the Friends Forever series really did it for me.

I was a fan of the Kristy/Alan pairing till later on in the series when Kristy pretty much treated him like shit and after that…nada.

I do prefer Kristy with Michel because I honesty think he can handle Kristy out of all the guys that Kristy has ever gone out with. And Michel is kinda a hottie. Even if he’s into sports.

I do like the Claudia/Alan pairing cause I honesty think it will work this time and we finally see what the real Alan is like..deep down insde.

playing_horses said, January 6th, 2014 at 6:51 pm

I’ve always loved Alan and I still do. I adored Kristy/Alan in the early books (they went out to the school dance in #2 and #6). However, I liked Claudia/Alan in the FF series. I always like mixed couples (the girl is totally cool and sophisticated while the guy is goofy and immature for example). I still like the Kristy/Alan pairing better, though. A lot of girls don’t show that they like the class clown. Besides, Kristy always had a love-hate relationship with any boy except for Bart, of course.

greer said, February 6th, 2014 at 1:14 pm

Hmm, I think Kristy and Alan would always seem like feuding siblings to me!