I haven’t read any fanfic or RPGs for a while, but I get kind of pissy when I read a statement like, “I didn’t read FF, so it’s not canon for this story.” I know that I’m one of the few people who really enjoys FF, but I don’t feel like you can deny its role in the BSC canon. Plus, I feel like you’re really missing out, because certain characters–Erica Blumberg, Woody Jefferson–have expanded roles in FF and become more than SMS seat fillers. So you’re really missing out on some great characterizations, and the Alan and Claudia romance, and developments in Stacey’s life…

You get the picture.

But if I’m going to say that every BSC book is canon, what about the movie and tv series? I have decided that the movie is not canon, one because Alan’s crush on Dawn isn’t mentioned anywhere else in the series and two because the “Secret Patrick Visit” plot is recycled in Kristy’s Portrait. The TV show, I’m actually on the fence about. In Stacey and the Fashion Victim, Stacey mentions a prior “negative” experience with modeling. The only other “Stacey models” storyline I can think of is in Stacey’s Big Break. Here is the quote from p. 8:

When [Mrs. Maslin] stopped for breath, I told her a little about the time I entered a modelling contest at Bellair’s. I won, but it wasn’t a great experience.

Are we to assume that this experience from the tv show is the one she is referring to? It does describe the plot of Stacey’s Big Break down to the letter. If the writer was indeed referencing this episode, then the tv show becomes canon.

Your thoughts?

Sadako said, March 11th, 2009 at 5:41 pm

Well, I do remember Kristy running into her dad at a baseball game with Mary Anne, randomly, in the BS Across America. Do they mention the secret Patrick visit there? Or is it just a Kristy’s Portrait thing?

Also, the other negative Stacey modeling exp. was in Stacey and the Bad Girls. Stacey’s mom wants her to get a job so one of the jobs she tries to get is a modeling job, but the people are a little negative, so she ends up working at the day care center…could that be it?

greer said, March 11th, 2009 at 5:57 pm

@Sadako: Nope, it wasn’t Sylphide. I quoted the exact passage above.

There are two separate Secret Patrick Visits; one in the movie and one in KP and neither mentions the others. She mentions the one from the portrait in SS14.

Sadako said, March 11th, 2009 at 6:07 pm

Whoops, sorry, didn’t see that. Hmm, yeah, that’s the only thing I can think of. It’s weird that Stacey never mentions it in the early chapters, though when she’s describing herself. She always says something like, “People tell me I’m so pretty, I could be a model but I’d rather not.” Not, “I’m so pretty I once won a modeling competition!”

Alice said, March 11th, 2009 at 10:23 pm

I got September Surprises today, thanks!
I don’t know about the TV show being canon, there are random characters added that we never hear from again (Julie – the Brewer’s housekeeper?), but I guess this happens in the books as well.
Didn’t Jeanne Betancourt write most of the episodes? I think she ghosted some of the books, so that might explain why the TV show was referenced in the books, if she was helping with both.

greer said, March 12th, 2009 at 7:22 pm

Ellen Miles wrote Stacey and the Fashion Victim.

That’s cool that Jeanne Betancourt helped write the tv show. The tv show has always felt way more authentically bsc than the movie did.

ashley said, March 13th, 2009 at 12:59 am

I’ve never considered the TV show canon, I feel like since it’s a different media, it exists on it’s own.

nikki said, March 14th, 2009 at 2:01 pm

Holy Shit Greer! Your blog is now blocked at my work >:(
You’re the only one on my blogroll that is. I wonder why?

Sniff…and I hardly get any time to internet at home…sniff.

wanderingfrog said, March 16th, 2009 at 8:46 pm

It seems like at least half the fics out there are AU, but the authors never state that they’re AU because they don’t even *know* that they are. What I mean is that people write about the BSC in high school, but the Spier/Schafer farmhouse is still standing, and Dawn and Mallory are still living in Stoneybrook without it being explained that they “decided to come back” from Palo City or Riverbend. Stuff like that. So I assume that the fic authors stopped reading before #88 and never did any research about what happened after they stopped reading, and it drives me up the wall.

I don’t consider the TV show canon, either, which is why it hurts my head that “Stacey’s Big Break” is obviously mentioned in a book. Aargh. Well, it’s not like the BSC is big on continuity, anyway.

greer said, March 17th, 2009 at 7:37 am

@wanderingfrog: Ugh, that drives me crazy too. But even beyond that, most BSC fic is poorly researched down to the most basic level. Seriously people, Mary Anne’s name is NOT Mary-Anne.

Shey said, June 18th, 2014 at 9:00 pm

For me, all the books are canon. It makes it so much fun to flow chart, what with the crazy time warp. The tv series…eh…can be, sometimes. When you feel like it. Most days, it feels like AU to me. But the movie–no. Never canon. Ever.

As for FF? Totally love it. There’s so much progress with the characters and their development. Perhaps that was inevitable because the series was ending but still. People who don’t acknowledge FF really are missing out on the great developments.

greer said, June 19th, 2014 at 7:02 pm

@Shey I love FF too, but we seem to be the minority!