If anybody in the BSC thinks about doing something even remotely non-kosher, Kristy Thomas is there to wail about the potential fate of the Club. Mary Anne brings Logan over to play with Jake Kuhn? We’re RUINED! Stacey gets accused of stealing a ring–we’ll go out of business!

But like Bernie Madoff carefully making sure that everything in his office was arranged perfectly while he was busy defrauding people of billions of dollars, beneath Kristy’s superior, moralistic exterior lies a person who has made some pretty big mistakes in her life. What would Mrs. Newton, who fired a sitter for smoking a cigarette (a big sin in Stoneybrook), think if she knew that Kristy had a hand in graffiti-ing the equipment shed?

Stacey, while kind of having a rep has the resident Bad Girl of the BSC, turned down the alcohol at the concert. She followed her mother’s mildly illogical rule about staying in the kitchen with boys. Kristy thought that her mom and Watson’s rule about no significant others didn’t apply to her and Bart. As an athlete, she refused the offer of a cigarette, but she had few qualms about grabbing a can of spray paint to feel like part of a team.

And when Mary Anne needed to sneak out of her house in Mary Anne’s Revenge, who instructed her on how to do it? Not Claudia. Not Dawn, who has been involved in sneaking away to head shops/tea places in California. Nope, it’s Kristy who helps her out.

What should be made of Kristy’s dual nature? Is it that special kind of self-sabotage that is often found in great leaders, like talented and intelligent politicians who just can’t help themselves when it comes to adultery? Or does she simply not hold herself accountable to her own moral standards?

nikki said, May 11th, 2009 at 7:25 pm

Heh. I read the title as The Selective Mortality of…
Like we can select to be mortal.

nikki said, May 11th, 2009 at 9:06 pm

Also….I left you an award at my blog. :)

Sadako said, May 11th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

She was also hypocritical about stuff like freaking out whenever anyone wanted to do anything non-BSC. Jessi couldn’t take another ballet class without having a panic attack but the Krushers are totally awesome and wonderful and everyone has to attend Krushers games! Grr.

mizzmarvel said, May 12th, 2009 at 6:37 pm

She also looked at Cary’s notebook and somehow managed to get mad at him for it. Sometimes I really want to punch her (which has threatened to do to children, mind you).

greer said, May 12th, 2009 at 6:39 pm

@mizzmarvel: I forgot about that thing with Cary!

And that “I will punch your lights out” line was quite shocking.

Sadako said, May 13th, 2009 at 2:18 pm

Oh yeah, that Cary thing was super obnoxious!

When did she threaten to punch out a kid’s lights? That sounds familiar but I can’t place it.

Jess said, May 13th, 2009 at 7:35 pm

I think all of the girls are big ol’ hypocrites at one point or another (you can hardly help it, over 300+ books), but I don’t think Kristy positions herself as morally superior in the examples you cited. It’s not that she thinks MA or Stacey have done something morally wrong – it’s that they’ve done something that might hurt the club. Of course, getting caught in Kristy and the Copycat would hurt the club too, but I don’t think she holds herself as morally superior to the others. It’s just that the club is her baby and she’s crazy paranoid about it.

bbb said, May 14th, 2009 at 12:54 am

Sadako: Claudia and the Phantom Phone Calls.

“It’s just that the club is her baby and she’s crazy paranoid about it.”
ITA.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said, May 14th, 2009 at 2:47 pm

I have nothing clever to add here but I loooved this character analysis, more please!

I hate how in the later books Kristy would always say something and then in brackets there would be something like (thank you, thank you) or (harrumph) etc. Although that’s probably not indicative of her morality, just crappy writing…

charmecia said, February 22nd, 2010 at 6:54 pm

i never found kristy that attractive
nor popular
and i didnt like the kristy books much.
probably cause she talks about either sports
or dealing with kids
but either way i never really liked kristy
nor mal
or jessi either

uma said, August 7th, 2012 at 8:38 am

I love mary anne and dawn