Thanks to super sleuth BooBooBrewer, here is a link to a cracked-out video by Peter Lerangis, where he spends most of the video talking in a Russian accent, pretending to be some guy named Ivan Kulik. Honestly, Peter Lerangis sounds and acts exactly like you’d expect Peter Lerangis to sound and act.

Peter Lerangis is kind of a controversial topic among BSC fans, I think. It is generally pretty obvious when he is the ghostwriter. He is found of sound effects, and puns, and you usually feel like the sitter missed her dose of ritalin that day. I happen to enjoy Peter, and I think he does Claudia and Kristy’s voices especially well–his sense of humor meshes well with their characters. But some people just find him irritating, or think that his style is too obvious and distracting. What do you think of PL?

HelenB said, June 5th, 2009 at 6:14 pm

I actually wouldn’t have a clue which books were written by which ghostie. Are there any guides to who wrote what?

greer said, June 5th, 2009 at 6:24 pm

HelenB, here’s a list put together by some of my friends on the BSC Boards: http://babysittersclub.proboards.com/index.cgi?board=bsc&action=display&thread=3688

Sadako said, June 5th, 2009 at 6:29 pm

Also in the book, it says something like “The author gratefully acknowledges [Peter Lerangis/Nola Thacker/Ellen Miles/etc.].

Anyway…that video was…uh, awkward to watch. Also I didn’t know he pronounced his name that way.

Annabelle said, June 6th, 2009 at 10:09 am

I don’t like Peter Lerangis. His style kind of gets on my nerves.

Myu said, June 6th, 2009 at 10:43 am

I tend to like Lerangis’ books (as he seemed to get a lot of decent plots) and, although occasionally I find the wackiness a bit jarring, I really don’t mind his style. Some of the stuff he comes out with makes me do a double take and wonder what he was on that day, though.

baseballchica03 said, June 6th, 2009 at 5:46 pm

You know I love Peter L!

mizzmarvel said, June 7th, 2009 at 3:30 pm

Lerangis is the bomb, yo.

WickedWonder said, June 8th, 2009 at 5:08 am

I’m a fan ’cause he wrote for the most part, the Cali Diaries. And the whole infamous Ducky storyline. Whoop!

Sadako said, June 8th, 2009 at 9:01 am

Infamous Ducky storyline? What infamous storyline? Not the one with his depressed friend Alex? That one was kind of boring. Is there something sizzling? I did hear something vague about Sunny dating Ducky…

greer said, June 8th, 2009 at 9:10 am

@Sadako: I believe wickedwonder is referring to the “Ducky is Gay” storyline. It’s not explicit, of course, but there’s a strong case for it. I’ll send a link your way to an essay which lays out the evidence after I wake up from my nap.

Sadako said, June 9th, 2009 at 4:00 pm

@greer: No kidding?! I would LOVE to see that essay!

jessicarae said, June 12th, 2009 at 9:45 am

@greer: can I have a link to that essay also? I tried googling “Ducky is gay” but strangely that didn’t work. Mostly it just pulled up articles about California and proposal 8. Thanks, but not quite.

mistrali said, January 20th, 2014 at 5:51 pm

I haven’t read enough books to notice the differences in characterisation between ghosties, but Lerangis’s California Doaries were superior to Nola Thacker’s. There was something missing in her Maggie voice, in particular.

greer said, February 6th, 2014 at 1:12 pm

I’d have to check to see which CD books were whose, but I definitely think Lerangis is the strongest writer of the ghosties, even though his style is a divisive one. He is the one who has had the most success as a legit author on his own, I think.