Yes, I know that it has been about two months since I last posted. What have I been doing? Well, I moved. I moved to a place where I could not take my BSC books. I have been quite distracted by my real life, and in all honesty have not been thinking much about the BSC. My mind has been occupied by things like, “How can I pay my tuition if I can’t get a student loan because my university has no association with the US banking system?” and “Oh fuck my head hurts from this hangover.” I had a few topics I wanted to write about, but I just never got around to forming the ideas to the point where I could write a meaningful blog post about them.

BUT THEN SOMETHING TOTALLY UNEXPECTED WAS DISCOVERED YESTERDAY, THE BIGGEST NEWS SINCE THE YEAR 2000 WHEN THE SERIES ENDED. If you care enough about the BSC to follow this blog, then you probably about know about it. Adri posted this yesterday in the BSC livejournal. I haven’t read the comments yet, because I wanted to write this post completely unbiased. But anyway, A NEW BSC BOOK IS COMING OUT APRIL 1ST. It is a prequel called The Summer Before, which takes place the summer before seventh grade. You can read the summary in the link to the BSC lj.

What are my thoughts on this? I have many.

• Is this the start of a series of prequels? Will we have books that take place when the sitters are even younger? Or is this a one-off thing?

• Perhaps, instead of a bunch of prequels, we’ll next have The Summer After, which would take place after Graduation Day. Now, I have mixed feelings about the idea of a “reunion book” in general. I kind of prefer us all being able to imagine what happened to the girls ourselves.
  • While a prequel is exciting, we do all know, say, what happened to Stacey the summer before seventh grade. The Claudia plot, though, intrigues me.
  • How will it be written? I imagine it will be more like Main Street than BSC. I doubt we will have, say, a Chapter Two.

• Speaking of Main Street, I wonder how this will affect Ann’s Main Street effort. Will she abandon it in favor of more BSC? Or is this, as I noted above, just a one-off thing and will not affect Main Street at all? Does anyone know how well Main Street has sold?
  • This is perhaps the most important question of all: Does this indicate a potential, at least partial, re-release of the series? It’s hard to imagine having a prequel released for a series that has been out of print for years. Although the graphic novels are still in print, and the book will only be about the original four, so perhaps Scholastic doesn’t deem a re-release necessary.

I will go more in depth about my various thoughts about this news in subsequent postings. But I just wanted to get something up here, and just bang out a few of the reactions floating around my head. What reactions do you guys have to this news?

• 11 Responses To This Post

nikki said, September 4th, 2009 at 12:46 pm

I saw this on LJ yesterday, and my first (and only) reaction so far has been: SQUEEEEEEEEE!

Your reaction is much more well thought out and intriguing.

mizzmarvel said, September 4th, 2009 at 11:10 pm

I definitely do NOT want a BSC sequel, but I’m of course intrigued by the prequel. I wonder if the release of the graphic novels have helped put AMM in a BSC mindset.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said, September 4th, 2009 at 11:55 pm

Your thoughts largely mirrored mine. Half of me is really, really excited, the other half is all “but why? And how? And we already know so much about them?”

Hope the move went well, always takes forever to recover from something like that! Also, I find reading BSC books excellent when I have a hangover – so soothing and undemanding.

ashley said, September 5th, 2009 at 12:35 am

I wondered this in the LJ comments, but I’ll wonder it here – what kind of interaction will Stacey get in this book? Didn’t her and Claud not meet until school started? And Kristy and Mary Anne met her in Kristy’s Great Idea.. It’ll be interesting to see what happens there.

Sadako said, September 5th, 2009 at 1:00 am

Maybe it’ll be like a chapter from each character’s POV. Like, Stacey in the city, back to Claud and so forth.

The Kristy plot would interest me because she always talks about how it’s sad that her dad doesn’t live with her but she never seemed that hung up on it. It’s a pretty traumatic thing to have your dad walk out on you. Though it happened when she was seven, I guess…a while before this book took place.

The MA one seems lame, though since we know her dad won’t lighten up till book four. It always seems like the typical MA book starts with her being shy and then growing a pair…lather, rinse, repeat.

Claudia’s first crush could be really good. Plus I hope we get a lot of Mimi and Janine.

Girltalkread said, September 6th, 2009 at 10:10 am

I have the same reaction as Nikki- SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

HelenB said, September 6th, 2009 at 7:41 pm

I pretty much agree with Sadako – it’s a pity they couldn’t find another plot for Mary Anne, since that’s one we’ve seen again and again.

I think there’s still a lot of scope around, say, Stacey’s story – losing her old friends and having to make new ones, for example. And I’m definitely interested in Claudia’s, although she always was one of my favourites!

Kristy did start off hating Watson, didn’t she? Perhaps we’ll see more about that in the prequel.

I also hope there’s some Mallory cameos :D

Helsie said, September 7th, 2009 at 4:52 am

I’m so excited! I did wonder when the graphic novels came out if there was going to be anything else. Maybe I’ll change my mind once I’ve read it, but right now, I’m excited. I would however like to see a book where they open the time capsule.

missjess82 said, September 13th, 2009 at 5:36 pm

Oh mylanta this MAKES my day!

Myu said, October 4th, 2009 at 4:07 pm

Argh, late reply. But anyway – I doubt I’ll be buying it as it’s unlikely it’ll be published here. I’m interested in what it’ll be like, but not enough to justify importing a YA book from the States. I’m curious to see how the break will affect AMM’s writing, but the cynic in me says she wants some extra cash…

karen brewer said, October 28th, 2009 at 10:58 pm

Hi Karen Brewer again…..In the BSC is there someone named Andrew Brewer? That is my sons name…Im not kidding.Can someone get back to me. This is no coincidence at this point.