Am I the only one who has noticed that since the reissues/reunion book became known, fandom has sort of died down a little? Posts on the BSC livejournals and boards are less frequent. Could we really have exhausted everything there is to discuss about the BSC in the ten years since Graduation Day?

I mean, for ten years the only thing that happened in the fandom was the Graphic Novels. And then, BOOM! Reissues! A prequel! Things that we had all fantasized about, but had not really considered likely, since Ann had made it pretty clear she wanted to work on other things. We were free to go through the books with a fine-tooth comb and read into them things that we not there, and to write fanfiction about what we thought happened after the girls finally graduated from eighth grade.

But now, it’s almost as if the looming publications make us less interested in endlessly discussing the finer points of the series. Is some of the magical nostalgia gone, now that we know that the books will be updated and we will learn more about their lives before the Club?

Or perhaps I’m the only one who has noticed this, or if I’m just not participating as much as I used to. Thoughts?

WickedWonder said, February 7th, 2010 at 7:34 pm

I honestly think that since most of us are women around the same age-within 5 years of 30, on either side- and our lives are just busy with husband, kids, jobs. Or we could have talked it out, I dunno. I feel more involved in BSC now than I did a year ago.

nikki said, February 7th, 2010 at 7:43 pm

I’m more involved now than I was a year ago too. Though a year ago, I was really just discovering the fandom.

But yeah, what WW said. I have all three – job, husband, kid. I’m freaking busy!

lilac stevens said, February 7th, 2010 at 8:35 pm

I’ve noticed it too – a few years ago the BSC fandom was really thriving, seeing that such an interest in the books still existed really helped me get back into them. At first I was almost a little disappointed at the lack of enthusiasm towards to re-release but then I realised that I didn’t really care about the books anymore either. I really do think we’ve talked about every possible thing to do with the BSC, the “Jessi is black” jokes got really, really old really, really quickly. The intensive snarking was funny for about 5 minutes, no one could ever replace Tiff in the snark department! (When she stopped blogging I think I lost a bit of interest too)

Sadako said, February 7th, 2010 at 11:56 pm

I think I’m a bit disappointed that it’s become so mainstream. I kind of liked when it was just “our” thing, ya know?

Literary Crap said, February 8th, 2010 at 12:35 am

I’m a little weired out that the BSC is becoming more mainstream again. I think that the prequels and reissues will take a lot of the magic away from the BSC. If the books are updated, then they aren’t the same BSC books I read as a kid. They’re someone else’s BSC.
I read them in the late 90s because they were leftover from when my sister was younger. It was definitely past the BSC peak, so I never read them when they were new or even mainstream. It made the books a little more special because it was my thing and no one else my age was really into them. It’s like finding out that my favorite indie band just did an appearance on MTV.

Laura @ Hungry and Frozen said, February 8th, 2010 at 3:16 am

I think ebbs and flows are natural. I still feel strongly interested in the fandom and so on, I don’t have the time that I did when I was a student to snark and read snarks but I still enjoy participating where I can, I’d hate to think of withdrawing completely. You’re probably right that a lot of what can be said has already been said but I think there’s always room for more discussion and at least now the quality writing will be easier to spot…if that makes sense? Definitely miss Tiff’s blog though.

mizzmarvel said, February 9th, 2010 at 7:51 am

While I think it’s just slowing down naturally — it happens sometimes — this is why I do NOT want a reunion book. There are nine billion discussions/fics about what we think the BSC did as adults, and if the question’s answered for us, that’d take away a lot of the thrill of the fandom.

greer said, February 9th, 2010 at 9:23 am

@mizzmarvel: yeah, I have long been anti-reunion book for this very reason. No more speculation!

baseballchica03 said, February 11th, 2010 at 3:28 pm

Like WickedWonder, I’ve just been super busy with work and dealing with a new house and other “real-life” concerns lately. It’s exhausting being a grown up! I want a time warp of my own.

wanderingfrog said, February 12th, 2010 at 8:34 pm

I’ve also been really busy with real life. It’s definitely not lack of interest keeping me away lately.

Myu said, February 13th, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Jumping the ‘RL is busy’ bandwagon. I still read the LJ communities when I can, but that’s about it. I’m also not really that active in the reissue discussion because I’m not planning to buy the books; I doubt they’ll even be published here, if the graphic novel is an example to go by.

greer said, February 14th, 2010 at 11:57 am

@myu: They never published the graphic novels in the UK? Bummer!

I can see the reissues being a US-only thing. Maybe Aus/NZ, because the BSC seems to have been very popular there, if the fandom is anything to go by. I’ve always noticed less of a UK presence.

Myu said, February 15th, 2010 at 6:47 pm

@greer: I think the series was moderately popular here, as about 80%+ of the books were published. This is just my own theory, but I think there were fewer serious collectors here. I think a lot of girls read a few of the books here and there, but not as many tried to read all of them.

greer said, February 16th, 2010 at 12:10 pm

@myu: perhaps this is due to the fugliness of the covers.

JemGrrl said, March 13th, 2010 at 11:39 pm

I’ll be honest. I’ve been reading these books since 3rd grade (17 years) and because they are so old, I never though to look for any fansites online! This is the first one I’ve found and so far I love it, I’m so glad there is one! I’ve had nobody to talk to about my BSC obsession EVER because I’m the only one I know who was (and still is) interested in them. I’m currently rereading ones I’ve read, ones I don’t remember if I’ve read or not and there are still some that I haven’t been able to get my hands on after all this time, if you can still believe it! I am having a blast reliving my preteen (tween) years I spent with my nose in these books! They jump-started my babysitting career I had in middle/high school! The girls are great role models for young girls. They’re just all-round great books!

charmecia said, June 29th, 2010 at 7:35 pm

my reason is totally different from the others
although like some i too read the bsc books around the late 90′s
(im only 21)
plus ive been busy with college and helping out my grandparents, though i still read the bsc from time to time
(im currently rereading the originals)

oh yeah, i too hate it when they change certain things in the new books.