Over at the BSC Boards, user bookwormv1 has come up with a 30 Day BSC Challenge. Play along there, in the comments here, on tumblr, wherever! If you want to play along somewhere other than here in the comments or in the original post, put a link in the comments!

So the first day asks the classic question of which Sitter is your favorite. I think that everyone who has read this blog for a while or interacted with me in the fandom knows my answer to this question. I’m a dyed-in-the-wool Stacey McGill girl. I will defend her through all sorts of criticism: being a crappy friend/bitch (have you interacted with a middle school girl lately? Stacey’s pretty darn nice, comparatively!), sluttiness (girl can’t help it if she has game), whatever.

Stacey is super smart, and not afraid to show off her brains. She is stylish. She is independent. I can relate to her more than any of the other sitters.

It is interesting, though, how my favorite sitter has changed over the years. When I first started reading the series, I liked Kristy, because I fancied myself quite the tomboy and very much wished to be athletic, and admired her leadership qualities/bossiness. There was a Dawn stage, where I, too, was interested in the environment and wanted very very long hair. Claudia appeals to my artistic side, although frankly, her spelling is just too bad for me to justify removing Stacey from the top spot.

Interestingly, despite a lifelong affinity for writing and reading, Mallory has never even cracked the top five.

Donica said, November 14th, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Started it on my blog, too, since I’ve been lacking in ideas.
Oh, well. It’ll help me get to my 100th post sooner rather than later.

Eowyn said, November 14th, 2011 at 11:58 pm

I don’t have a clear favorite but I can see why so many fans liked Stacey the best. I can realisticaly see her being a popular student in a middle school. Plus, she’s good at math. One of the many BSC mysteries for me was, if Claudia wasn’t best friends with Stacey, would she still have been believable as a popular girl?

greer said, November 16th, 2011 at 10:27 am

@Eowyn: that’s a good question… I think Claudia was pretty and not socially awkward, but I also don’t think she cared much about being popular in the first place. She didn’t seem to have much use for friends, since she had her art.

corduroyspocket said, November 16th, 2011 at 8:33 pm

I’m going to answer this somewhat differently and say Kristy is the sitter I would most like to be friends with. First and foremost I think she would be a very loyal friend; I get the impression that you would always know exactly where you stood with her and that she would have your back if something came up. I like that she can always come up with something to do and find a way to make it happen, not just wait for someone else to do it. Also, I always found Kristy to be the funniest of the sitters and people who can make me laugh are
A+.

Claudia and Mallory are tied for second favorite.

Eowyn said, November 16th, 2011 at 10:04 pm

I know the argument about why Claudia got treated better by her classmates than Jessi did is stuff of legend, but if you put race aside how could Claud possibly have been more popular than Jessi? Jessi was elegant, graceful, and a gifted dancer, all of which is particularly impressive when you take into account her age. Claudia was an unusual dresser to say the least, a poor student who only got worse (even by the standards of underachieving middle schoolers), and her only talent was in the visual arts. It is a common complaint IMO to hear kids who excel in the visual arts say their peers don’t appreciate their gifts to the extent of those who are talented in other endeavors.

Going back to Stacey, one thing I always liked about her character is the maturity with which she handled her situations. She could have given Dawn tips on handle setbacks.

hobbes12 said, November 17th, 2011 at 11:22 pm

I never had a solid favorite, but I was always partial to Dawn. I was so mad when she left for good, but then…Abby came. And became my absolute favorite sitter. I love her corny puns, how bold she was, and the fact that she’s really different from all the others. Which is weird because she was nothing like me, but there you have it.

greer said, November 18th, 2011 at 4:24 am

@corduroyspocket: When Lerangis wrote Kristy, she was hilarious, even though her bossiness definitely turned into a caricature trait, rather than a character trait, later on.

But one of my funniest moments of the whole series is in Friends Forever when Kristy finds that Claudia is going on a date with Alan Gray and she puts up her hand “majestically.” I don’t know why that scene strikes me as so funny, but it does.

@Eowyn: Jessi, for the most part, strikes me as the most level-headed and intelligent of the Sitters, except for in Mary Anne in the Middle, where she turns into a mega-bitch.

ashley said, November 18th, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Oooh, I like this idea! (Especially if it gets you updating, lol.) I might have to give this a shot on my (neglected) LJ.

My favourite has changed over the years, too. And even though I say Claudia’s my favourite now, I’m not 100% sure about that…

» 30 Day Challenge Round-up Stoneybrookite: the best friends you’ll never have said, January 22nd, 2012 at 12:00 pm

[...] are all my answers: Day 1, Favorite Sitter: Stacey Day 2, Least Favorite Sitter: Logan Day 3, Favorite Regular Book: Stacey and the Bad Girls Day 4, [...]

chocolatechip15 said, August 5th, 2012 at 10:36 pm

Interesting. . when I first read the books, Mary Anne was my favorite, probably because I related to her as the shy, quiet one. But over the years Kristy has become, without a doubt, my favorite — because to me, she’s the most well-drawn. She has real flaws, like all real people . .bossiness and jealousies. .that come from insecurities — which isn’t surprising considering that her father walked out on her when she was 6. But despite this, she’s a loyal friend, an adored big sister, a determined go-getter who goes after what she wants. .she’s strong but vulnerable, and I find her very lovable.