Is this even a contest? Can you actually have an answer other than “Patrick Thomas” and not catch flack for it? He left and doesn’t send child support, does that weird thing where he secretly visits Kristy and won’t let her tell anyone, and doesn’t invite his youngest son to his wedding to Zoey, leading to fandom speculation that David Michael is not Patrick’s biological son.

And then he talks about having kids with Zoey! Nooo! Why did Zoey marry him? She seemed like a cool lady. Big mistake, Zoey.

An interesting thing that I have been noticing lately is that a lot of people seem to dislike Watson now, if you read BSC Snark. I haven’t read that many LS books, but he certainly seems to come off worse in those, especially in Karen’s Stepmother.

Poor Kristy, I guess. Although I have to say that I enjoy the development of Kristy and Watson’s relationship over the course of the series.

SJSiff said, December 1st, 2011 at 10:44 pm

Run, Zoey! Fast and far away! She even knows how badly Patrick treated his kids.

Eowyn said, December 3rd, 2011 at 10:14 pm

You’re right. There really is no contest.

Eowyn said, December 3rd, 2011 at 10:16 pm

There was even one book where Kristy mentions that Louie the dog seemed to know that David Michael got cheated out of having a father. So even the dog knew. I genuinely liked Watson Brewer though.

greer said, December 4th, 2011 at 8:12 am

@eowyn: I always liked Watson too, but I think he comes off less well in LS.

hobbes12 said, December 4th, 2011 at 8:24 pm

Yeah, Patrick’s really the worst.

nikki said, December 4th, 2011 at 9:54 pm

Obviously Patrick is the worst, but I might not have thought of him right away because his appearances are so rare. Out of sight out of mind.

I didn’t mind Watson until I started re-reading as an adult. I like him less now, but I still wouldn’t call him the worst.

maculae said, December 20th, 2011 at 5:23 pm

I think the Watson hate is mostly from the fact that he gets Karen and Andrew over so rarely. And when they are over, he has a baby-sitter.

chocolatechip15 said, August 5th, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Interesting. .I never read the Little Sister books, but the Kristy-Watson relationship was one of my favorite parts of the regular series. He goes from being this guy she can’t stand (*because* he’s the “perfect” divorced father) to someone she grudgingly respects to someone who really becomes a father figure. (doesn’t she refer to him as “my father” when she’s panicked when he has a heart attack?). ..and he helps her set up the Krushers, takes her to baseball camp, I think he sets up a dance scholarship for underprivileged kids in one of the Jessi books .. .he always seemed like a really good guy to me. Yeah, he used babysitters constantly, but so did every single parent in Stoneybrook — I just ignored that as a quirk of the series. Though one thing i never understood is why Kristy’s parents NEVER drove her anywhere . .it was ALWAYS charlie. Most parents of 13 year olds do most of the driving . .that always annoyed me!

chocolatechip15 said, August 5th, 2012 at 10:23 pm

And, aside from Patrick, I would put Dawn’s mother down as worst parent. Taking your kids 3,000 miles away from their father, uprooting them after the traumatic experience of a divorce. .I understand and sympathize with why she’d want to move back to her hometown and be near her parents after her divorce, but I think she should have put her children first and stayed in California. She essentially made it impossible for them to have a real “parent” relationship with both their parents. And I think one of the MOST unrealistic things that always drove me crazy about the late Mary Anne books is that Richard and Sharon talk about possibly moving to Philadelphia after the fire . .but never even CONSIDER moving to California. . .it’s like, Hello Sharon . .your 10 and 13 year olds live in California. .maybe you’d like to be part of their growing up?