After the Challenge, instead of kicking my posting butt into gear, I’ve sort of moved into a phase where I’m less interested in BSC stuff: no motivation to post here or work in the wiki, less time spent on the various BSC communities I belong to… This happens from time to time, I suppose.

I’m not a big “fandom” person, so it’s not like I lose interest in the BSC and start, say, blogging about Community. I think it’s only natural that after nineteen years, sometimes I want to do nothing more than to read and think about the BSC, and other times I’m more interested in living my life outside of Stoneybrook. I mean, I started reading the series when I was the same age as Karen Brewer and now I’m old enough to teach at Stoneybrook Middle School or have a BSC client of my own. I’m older than Wesley Ellenburg!

I tend to retreat into BSCland when I’m feeling uneasy or a bit sad about my own life and want something comforting. But now I’m busy trying to start a career and balancing that with a social life and dipping my toes into the world of adult responsibility. I do hope to post more, and to add to the wiki (which you can all do too). But for now, I’d like to ask a few questions:

1) How long have you been reading the BSC?
2) Do you find that your interest in the series waxes and wanes with the seasons/life events/whatever?

Shelly said, March 31st, 2012 at 4:02 pm

Hi Greer! I’m glad to hear you’re working hard and starting your career. I started reading the BSC when I was about 8 and was re-reading a book a day pretty much through all of high school. I barely read in college and grad school and now that that’s all done, I think I’ll start reading a little more. I actually applied to work at camps this summer so I’m really excited to re-read some summer ones, especially my all time favorite SS2 Summer Vacation :) . I wouldn’t worry or anything about your interest fading a bit…if it comes back, great. If not, you’ll always have your friends :) .

greer said, March 31st, 2012 at 6:05 pm

@shelly: thanks for your kind words! And yes, jobs that involve sitting around/little action are great for reading stuff like BSC!

Kathryn said, April 2nd, 2012 at 7:11 am

Let’s see…I started the BSC in second grade, so age 7? 8? And I’m 24 now. I had maybe 50 volumes as a kid, and began filling in the gaps in my collection when I was in high school and going thrift shopping a few times a month.

The BSC is definitely more of a comfort item for me – I re-read when I’m sick, when I’m depressed, any sort of “in need of comfort” feeling. Months go by without picking up a book, then I’ll have a weekend where I read three or four volumes.

I think it’s better enjoy the BSC lull in your life than try to force it. Chances are it’ll ebb back for ya. Love your blog :)

Emily said, April 7th, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I started when I was about 7. I go through times when I’m more or less interested in the BSC, but it’s never really tied to what’s going on in my real life. It just happens!

myu said, April 14th, 2012 at 8:15 pm

1) I’ve been reading the BSC since I was about 7 or 8.
2) Big yes. I used to read all the posts and was pretty active in posting/commenting, but now I don’t visit it that much anymore and when I do I rarely comment. It’s due to a few factors: mostly because I don’t have the time/inclination and partly because my interest in fandoms generally waxes and wanes anyway. Also, I did find at one point that the BSC fandom got a bit tedious – the same questions come up again and again, or else people would post about stuff that I either wasn’t interested in (eg.how the BSC members would vote) or couldn’t really particpate in (like ideal actresses for the BSC members – most of the choices tend to be from US TV programmes that weren’t shown in my country). But mostly it’s just time. Sigh! I’ve been meaning to comment on this blog entry for weeks now.

chocolatechip15 said, August 5th, 2012 at 9:58 pm

1) I’ve been reading the BSC since I was 10 years old . . over 20 years ago.
2) Absolutely — me, too. I read the books voraciously from age 10 until I started eighth grade myself (ah, the irony). I go through periods of months . .sometimes even a year or two, when I barely think of the BSC at all. And then I’ll have periods where I’m intensely interested . .rereading my old books, seeking out ones I never read, etc. And I do think it happens more when I’m seeking comfort and stability.

Sue said, October 6th, 2012 at 3:29 pm

1) I’ve been reading the BSC since I was about 8 or 9, so six or seven years.
2)The BSC books are usually a break for me: from young adult literature that I’m forced to read for English that I honestly find quite boring and too over-analyzed. Also, they’re a break from life. It reminds me of early middle and late elementary school when things were simpler and I didn’t have to worry about pointless high school drama, terrible teachers, and annoyingly repetitive school projects in EVERY SINGLE CLASS. :) It’s like visiting the past or traveling in a time machine.