Recently, Ann revealed that a Baby-Sitters Club reunion book is not off the table. I started thinking about A) whether I would want one and B) what I would want it to be and C) what Ann is likely to write.

The Summer Before was okay, but didn’t reveal all that much that was new because it takes place before the start of the series. So a reunion book would be much more exciting, in my opinion. There are several options.

• BSC in high school. An obvious choice. Put them in ninth grade, a direct continuation of Graduation Day, and wrap up some FF/GD storylines. (Mary Anne and Cary!) While I’ve never been a super-dedicated fanfic person, when I have written it, I have almost always chosen this time period to explore. Ann, however, seems to like writing about people a bit younger. She wrote some things that could be considered more YA in her pre-BSC fame days, but she doesn’t seem to do that now. The BSC a bit older would have to be like California Diaries, most of which she did not write. And do we want to see our beloved BSC members in more grown-up situations?
  • BSC as adults. Ann doesn’t really write for adults, so I don’t see this happening. I mean, of course I would LOVE a book like Now I’ll Tell You Everything for each sitter. But yeah, not likely.
  • Older Karen/Clients-as-sitters. The fandom reaction would be hilarious to a Karen-focused book. I’ve never been the biggest fan of “new BSC”-type stories, though. I care much more about the sitters than the clients.
  • BSC, second generation. I.e., the children of the original BSC. This could be interesting, and it would fit with what Ann has been doing with Family Tree. AND we’d see what the sitters were like as adults, but Ann wouldn’t have to write an adult novel. This might be my favorite option.

Any other ideas? What would you like to see?

• 6 Responses To This Post

tintin lachance said, November 20th, 2014 at 10:05 pm

A reunion book would be exciting, but I sort of hope she never writes one. I like things better as they are now, where everyone can imagine different results because nothing’s canon. I have a hard time ignoring canon when it exists, so I’d have to accept whatever Ann came up with.

I wrote a reunion fic once, and if I had had more time to write it (it was for a fic exchange), I would have loved to do a full Super Special style book with storylines and chapters for all the baby-sitters, Karen, and maybe Emily Michelle. :D I think a Super Special would be the most satisfying possibility for me personally, but unfortunately, I also think it would be less appealing to a mass audience.

I do like the idea of next-generation stories. Then there’s still a little bit to imagine about the original members of the BSC, since the stories wouldn’t be told from their POVs.

Great question! I think I’m going to be thinking about it for a while now. :)

greer said, November 21st, 2014 at 9:05 am

Yeah, it would relegate most fanfic to AU. A Super Special-style book is definitely how I’d want it to go to, regardless of the path she chose. I don’t know if a BSC reunion book would be appealing to a mass audience in the first place. I imagine it’d be about the same as Sweet Valley Confidential in that regard.

chocolatechip15 said, November 21st, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I would LOVE a reunion book, but I see the value of leaving it open-ended. I can’t see Ann just starting at 9th grade, though . .seems too anticlimactic. I could see a college or mid-20s reunion, though — except you’re right that Ann just never writes for adults.

I’ve never quite understood the Karen hate in the fandom. I always thought she was kind of cute, though not really my favorite character. I started reading the BSC at 10, so I was already too old for the Little Sister books when I started, but there were 100+ books in that series — lots of little girls must have loved her, I would think.

And, though I too am a lot more interested in the BSC members than their clients, I’ve always thought a later novel that focused on Kristy’s family would be interested. Like, say, narrated by a 12-year-old Emily Michelle. How does she come to terms with feelings about being adopted and being of a different culture than the rest of her family? What’s her relationship like with Karen, who be getting ready for college at that point? Does she have any real relationship with her much older siblings (Kristy/Sam/Charlie)? I could see that being really interesting.

chocolatechip15 said, November 21st, 2014 at 8:14 pm

Greer, have you posted your fanfic? I’d love to read it! I love good BSC fanfic, but there’s so much junk out there, and I lose patience trying to weed through it. But you’re so thoughtful and such a good writer that I think yours would be really good!

sjsiff said, November 21st, 2014 at 8:51 pm

Graduation Day had the girls burying a time capsule…it would be nice to see them reunite to unearth it.

greer said, November 22nd, 2014 at 2:56 pm

@chocolatechip15 Awww, thank you! In terms of fanfic, I have stuff from like, ten years ago at fanfiction.net under “greer” and more recent stuff is on babysitters100.livejournal.com under “cassandraclue.”

Re: Karen, I think it’s mostly that Karen was just allowed to get away with a lot and the adults all seemed to see her antics as cute. I started reading the BSC at the end of first grade, but I had a few Little Sister books. I don’t think I felt one way or the other about her when I was younger.
    A book about the Thomas-Brewer siblings would definitel be interesting.

@sjsiff That is definitely a good/probable idea, and how Phyllis Reynolds Naylor ended Alice. I looked it up, and they were going to open the capsule in seven years, when the sitters were 20 and the triplets were graduating high school. So still within Ann’s age range.